GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Puddle Lights?

deadfm

Passed Driver's Ed
searched for a bit. there is such an animal, isn't there? if so, does anyone know where to find them? thanks!

icee

Ready to race!
DIY:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...le-light-installation&p=78127716#post78127716

I did it, its easy, take your time and it'll come out perfect !

I just finished installing mine today and I love em! Thats one more check in my OEM+ box.

The color temps of my stock interor lights don't match, but I'll get to those later. :D

The hardest part of the install was probably getting the door clips back into the unlocked position. :mad0259:

Last edited:

deadfm

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^^ looks really nice!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
icee, what's the real purpose for those lights....to see what you're about to step into?? I can understand the ones at the bottom of the doors but on the side mirrors.

91Z28

Ready to race!
The hardest part of the install was probably getting the door clips back into the unlocked position
feeding the harnesses I made through the mirrors really pissed me off....

So are thise mirror lights plug n play?

In short no, look up the DIY

icee

Ready to race!
So are thise mirror lights plug n play?

It isn't plug n play, but it isn't a total custom mod either. All of the infrastructure and software (VAGCOM) is there to make it function properly.

Disassembly and reassembly of the mirror housing is very easy and forgiving. As long as you are careful and mind all the details you cant mess it up.

Rdash makes the LED light that is a direct drop in for our mirrors. They lock into place when you reassemble the mirror housing and the mold fits perfectly next to the mirror motor. It feels very well made and looks just like an OEM part.

You'll have to dremel out the hole for the light. Thankfully there is a nice groove that you can follow to get a very precise hole for the led light. The plastic is also extremely easy to work with and it doesn't stink while you're cutting away at it.

In case you mess up the cutting job, the part numbers for replacement lower mirror housings are:
5K0-949-101 (left)
5K0-949-102 (right)
My dealer wanted $55 each, but you can get em online for around $34 each.

You'll have to splice and solder into a ground wire. I used the ground wire from the mirror heater.

Fishing the wires through the mirror is really easy too. There is plenty of space and it's easy too see exactly where and how you need fish the wire. (I took the mirror assembly and harness completely off the door so I could work on the wires on a work bench.)

Plug the repair wire into the door wire harness, activate the function and you're up and running! :thumbsup:

Check out the link 91Z28 posted for the exact DIY guide. That's what I followed.

Smoky_Llama1

Passed Driver's Ed
I ghetto fabbed some Passat CC puddle lamps into my housings, it sort of worked but not near as bright as those. I'm going to get new lower housings and the Benzinfabrik lights for mine pretty soon. Icee those look amazing, any pics of how your cutout turned out? It's a bitch to make a clean cut.

icee

Ready to race!
The cut I made looks pretty decent. Now that I look at it, I probably should have used the high grit sand paper a bit more to really clean it up the corners, but you can't see it unless you really get close and look at it. I was just really eager to get it all installed!

If you have a dremel rotory tool, the best bit for this (imho) is the tile cutting bit.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=562

Using this bit at a medium low speed made it extremely easy to shave/carve out the plastic. Using a light touch to get very close to the line is very easy as well as the bit does not grab and crunch away at the plastic. The biggest danger is getting over zealous with the carving and going past the groove.

With my install, I did the cuts on new bottom housings so if I really fubared, I could try again on my existing mirror housings. With the new lower housings, if you look on the inside, you can see the shape of the entire section you need to cut out. This made it really easy to know where to stop cutting if you were looking at the inside.

I'm not sure if this is on all of the housings though. You can only 'sorta' see that inside cutout on the housings that came with the car. (even though it's the exact same part)

As for the Benzinfabrik LED lights, I believe they are the same as the RDash lights that I purchased. If you search ebay for "280923804850", that is the exact unit I purchased. That seller was pretty fast at getting them to me. Taiwan to CA in less than a week with free shipping. He ships with FedEx so you'll need to give them your phone number to attach to the shipping label. (I missed that ebay message which delayed my shipment by 5 days. Stupid SPAM filter...)

I really love the puddle lights. My brother thought I was out of my mind when I unlocked the door and just stared at my car. :D