GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oem sleeve clamp

NickMk61

Ready to race!
Hey guys I'm trying to loosen the OEM sleeve clamp that connects the catback to the down pipe... but the thing won't budge... no matter how much force I use it won't loosen up.. no one has messed with it, so its still in its stupid upwards position... help would be appreciated.. this is driving me crazy

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
takes a long open end wrench, 13mm. or i use a 12" long 3/8" drive rachet with 13mm socket the first time. Only way you can get enough torque. And spray it down a lot first.

Jack14

Ready to race!
I had the same problem. The screws were so stripped that i ended up sawing the clamp off. It worked but i would leave that as your last option.

goose1

Ready to race!
That was the hardest part about swapping cat backs the first time, was there for a good half hour, ended up using an angle socket and alot of patience.

bialymike

Ready to race!
my friend and i sprayed the bolts down with liquid wrench first. them we took a hammer and hammered down the socket on the bolt to get it seated properly in order to make sure we didnt strip the bolts as we tried to get them off. it worked. but i feel like we spent more time trying to get the socket off the bolts once we got them loose than actually getting them loose. we got the socket in their so tight it was almost impossible to get off...almost

GTI2012

Ready to race!
Rust Welded Nuts

I've found that an impact wrench, if you have access to one, will spin off even badly rust welded nuts on the exhaust easily. I once had to take off an exhaust clamp that had been on another car for 10 years and the nut was barely recognizable from the U bolt it was on it was so badly corroded. I put my pneumatic impact wrench on it and it spun it off, no fuss, without stripping or breaking it.

NickMk61

Ready to race!
yeah so I got one nut loose after about 2 hours of trying... got some PB blaster and sprayed them down, that seemed to work great.. got one loose, but then stripped the other..... so basically a waste of time.. Im taking my car to dubsquared in Arlington to get my DP installed.. hopefully they can sort this out for me.. wish I would have used PB blaster from the beginning.. could have saved soo much time..