GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Wireless charger

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Does it charge your phone?
I have tried 10 different phones and not even a single one charged, only other devices charge like earbuds etc..
I honestly have swapped a couple of the pads out because their performance was subpar. However, all of the pads did charge.

denyxp31

Car(s)
19' MK7.5 1.5TSI DSG
@denyxp31 , have you also somehow modified that rubber pad inside the cubby to let the air flow better?
I was thinking about it.. but I'm not sure how I can do it and still look decent at the same time.. also, it looks like VW hasn't released any new rubber pads made for this charger.. so maybe it was intended this way?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I was thinking about it.. but I'm not sure how I can do it and still look decent at the same time.. also, it looks like VW hasn't released any new rubber pads made for this charger.. so maybe it was intended this way?
I’m leaning towards cutting some vents in the rubber; aesthetics-wise it’s pretty hard to see anything in there, and it’s far enough back that even with the cubby open you can’t really see that part of the mat from the driver’s side.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
This came in today! Now I’ll need to figure out how to modify the rubber pad. I order three extra pads from LLLparts.co.uk. Came out to slightly cheaper than Ali at $54 . . . 5G1863328F (recessed) or D (Flat)

IMG_1415.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpeg
    IMG_1416.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Update: 30 minute drive w/ wireless CarPlay, Waze navigation, audio playback, Siri usage, and a phone call -- went from 89% to 95%. Old charger would have a hard time holding that with no discharge, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the ventilated pad actually makes a material difference. YMMV but in limited testing I'm seeing improved performance.

IMG_0229.jpeg
IMG_0230.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7068.jpeg
    IMG_7068.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Update: 30 minute drive w/ wireless CarPlay, Waze navigation, audio playback, Siri usage, and a phone call -- went from 89% to 95%. Old charger would have a hard time holding that with no discharge, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the ventilated pad actually makes a material difference. YMMV but in limited testing I'm seeing improved performance.
Dammit, gonna have to buy one. My commute is less than 2 miles so I realistically have no need to sit my phone there to charge but being able means something to me, or at least it means more to me than the cost of this charger :LOL:.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
This is hilarious. I literally just did this about an hour ago. Unfortunately, it is regularly giving me the ‘unable to charge’ quite a bit. But I put it in there and I’ll see how it works out. Looks like I’ll probably need to remove my case. Hmm.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
This is hilarious. I literally just did this about an hour ago. Unfortunately, it is regularly giving me the ‘unable to charge’ quite a bit. But I put it in there and I’ll see how it works out. Looks like I’ll probably need to remove my case. Hmm.
Great minds! I also was seeing some "unable to charge" messaages; it seems to be a bit more finicky about placement than the old one. Taking my case off definitely helped (and also the only way it'll fit in there, unfortunately). At first I tested the pad by just pugging it in without the cubby and setting a phone on it and found that it was quite difficult to get it to successfully charge. Installed in the cubby is a bit more reliable but I did see that message a couple of times (I chalked it up to my phone being a bit too tall and not slotting quite right on the mat. I'm thinking I might trim off the little "walls" to give it another millimeter or two).
@bobloblawGTI sid you notice the fan come on at all? Mine did not seem to activate upon installation. I’m thinking it’s temperature dependent.
It only comes on if a phone is actively charging on the pad; tested this before installing the cubby. As soon as the phone is removed, the fan shuts off:
[Edit] Click for the video, not sure why the embed isn't showing it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@bobloblawGTI, I'm pretty sure the fan didn't come on, on mine. Hmmm. More testing needed.

Update: Fan does come on but damn this thing is finnicky. I'm hoping it eventually becomes more stable.

Update to the Update: I ordered another one for the GSW.

Last edited:

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Guys, it's definitely working in my car. I got charging failed message only if the phone's camera (iPhone 14 Pro) is above the vent. So, I needed to turn the phone to the opposite side and everything works fine. I'm going for a 400km ride on Sunday so I'll test it better then.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Guys, it's definitely working in my car. I got charging failed message only if the phone's camera (iPhone 14 Pro) is above the vent. So, I needed to turn the phone to the opposite side and everything works fine. I'm going for a 400km ride on Sunday so I'll test it better then.
Yes, this is exactly what I observed this morning. Seems to be working just fine.