GOLFMKV

Official Chicagoland Autocross Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Meh, at our level, the extra weight won't make a huge difference. When you're super fast and/or when you're doing your final runs I'd say drive alone but for the warm ups and even the hot laps it's OK for us I'd say. We have way more things to worry about in terms of driving skill vs. having a couple hundred extra lbs in the passenger seat. My class-winning run in May had Tim in the passenger's seat, and he's NOT a small guy in case you didn't notice :D
I wouldn't want to risk it with BMWCCA... I know the rules and I follow them :)
you should just instruct already, how many events do you need to win before passing on the torch?
Translation: I will report your ass.
:clap::laugh::laugh:

That is exactly how i took it

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Translation: I will report your ass.
Reported.

Nah, I meant it the other way... I'm personally really active with the club, and I know the rules well. So me personally, I wouldn't try to bring Jackie or whoever along for a ride because then if I got caught at the grid or anywhere, the people would be like "You definitely know the rules, why would you knowingly break them?" And then I'd feel bad and they'd think I was a dick.

you should just instruct already, how many events do you need to win before passing on the torch?
I'm way too new to be instructing people. It is my goal to be an instructor though. I've spoken with Graig about it, it's kind of "invitation only" but he has seen how I have been improving and my times, and he said I'm well on my way to getting the yellow wristband. I'd say in another season or two.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Reported.

Nah, I meant it the other way... I'm personally really active with the club, and I know the rules well. So me personally, I wouldn't try to bring Jackie or whoever along for a ride because then if I got caught at the grid or anywhere, the people would be like "You definitely know the rules, why would you knowingly break them?"

Translation:
Youre a noob, DO IT.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Meh, at our level, the extra weight won't make a huge difference. When you're super fast and/or when you're doing your final runs I'd say drive alone but for the warm ups and even the hot laps it's OK for us I'd say. We have way more things to worry about in terms of driving skill vs. having a couple hundred extra lbs in the passenger seat. My class-winning run in May had Tim in the passenger's seat, and he's NOT a small guy in case you didn't notice :D

I wouldn't want to risk it with BMWCCA... I know the rules and I follow them :)
speak for yourself. #racecar

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
In our region(and thats with all but one of the club) we allow passenger. SCCA here actually allows it at any point provided it does not interfere with your work shift. Other clubs stipulate that you need to finish your run before you ride passenger to negate any possible advantage.

The 5 runs or less format is more or less normal here since most events here are 100+ entrants.

Personally I'd prefer more people in class to get more competition. Though when its down to 3 runs its a big turn off, as is the case when I go to Ohio. The flip side is that its a huge lot(um, airport) and the course is much faster.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah BMWCCA are kinda strict on the safety/rules/liability stuff.

Makes sense to require that your runs are completed before ride-alongs.

With the format of BMWCCA events that means that you can only ride along for someone's final runs which is when they'd probably want to be alone.

But yeah, SCCA is way faster/open layout and less technical from videos I've seen.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah BMWCCA are kinda strict on the safety/rules/liability stuff.

Makes sense to require that your runs are completed before ride-alongs.

With the format of BMWCCA events that means that you can only ride along for someone's final runs which is when they'd probably want to be alone.

But yeah, SCCA is way faster/open layout and less technical from videos I've seen.

Fast /= less technical, since you are much more likely to require to dictate your own entry speed to make up time. I never get too much chance to run fast courses since most venue here is slow. We've had courses(non-SCCA) where you are stuck in 1st for a long time and you are basically not having much options in terms of line, or braking points, you are just following the cones. Bigger course means you have to string fast elements together from seemingly no where and decide on how fast you can do it on the fly, and do it in less than 4 runs in most cases. Your braking distances increases dramatically when the speed goes up too.

I did that event in Toronto and people keep telling me their event being slower is more "technical" but a fast guy will be fast regardless since its the same technique, its easier to me when the event is slow and tight vs I have to decide on whether to carry speed into a high speed sweeper in 3rd or try to hug the inside doing it in 2nd.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
KVN, with you being AZN and all, just tell them you do computer shit or high level accounting... they will then take any level of douchebaggery as completely acceptable.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I didn't mean that fast automatically means less technical, but from videos I've seen, the SCCA courses are much less technical than BMWCCA regardless of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.