GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MK6 TDI Tunes Thread

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
APR is the only tuner that can give you stock mode, and switch over to 170hp/293lb-ft (crank i assume).... Even if the DSG doesn't allow all of the torque the engine is capable of the output when the DSG is finally updated. No matter which tune you get you'll have to overcome the DSG limits, and its separate in price and application. My guy can do the DSG at any time if i like but i'm enjoying the extra push across the board right now.. see when i get bored. IMO they're all the same shit - don't believe the hype. These guys all have DYNOs, and they all watch their charts as they add more/less fuel and air. Its easy-peasy!

SFGiants

Ready to race!
I see all this stuff about APR and DSG. Anyone here have experience with APR on a 6MT TDI? I've narrowed it down to APR and Malone.

I'm leaning toward APR because I've had their tuning on 4 cars now including my current '10 GTI and have never had ANY problems. But then I remember those are 1.8ts and 2.0ts and I'm wondering if Malone is the better option because of the amount of time they have been doing TDI tunes. Another thing to consider for me is there is an APR dealer here in town less than 15 minutes away and the closest Malone dealer is in Portland 580 miles away. Granted its about 1 tank in the TDI each way, but still another $200 in fuel costs for Malone (sending in my ECU isn't an option I'm considering for any companies.)

Thoughts?

karmakanix in Berkeley is a Malone tuner! I haven't used them but will if I end up going Malone.

STING

Ready to race!
APR is the only tuner that can give you stock mode, and switch over to 170hp/293lb-ft
You can change to stock with Revo if you have the SPS switch.
Why you'd ever want to though is another matter :p
There really is no best tuner! Just the one you choose.
Fun is to be had from all of the well known tuner brands.
Edit: Psst..................Pedalbox next! A must on a TDI ;)

Last edited:

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I've been switching back and forth between both modes often as they both have characteristics that I like at different times, it probably sounds ridiculous but there is a different frequency to the engine in each mode. It's most easily described as the difference between a V-4 and an I-4.

Additional reasons:
Right now it's also novel to compare the two tunes...

I find that my tires snap loose from the pavement in our frigid weather and the stock mode may be better for snowy days... it's to be determined once the white stuff comes down again.

I'm not sure that I want the dealer to know about my tune just yet, they don't need an excuse to deny warranty coverage.

What I love about the tune is the I-4 revving nature but just as importantly it's better ability to hold a speed with less gas.

I might get bored by the summer and try the DSG tune. Need to read about it's benefits and short comings.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
So I have now put 70k miles on my Revo tune and I have not had a single issue.

How is the fuel economy compare to stock? Do you see improvements at certain speeds/RPMs?

mamock116

Ready to race!
I didn't notice any improvement to fuel economy. The tune mostly helps with mid range power from what i can feel. The only thing that I have seen increase fuel economy on my car is removing the flaps from the intake manifold. This also got rid of the bog when easing off the clutch in first.

Yukon

Passed Driver's Ed
If you think all tuners are the same, then I can't really keep a conversation going wih you. Tuning a diesel is completely different then tuning a gasoline engine, and the guys at APR are not diesel tuners. Also, I can't think of any situation that would warrant wanting to switch back to stock. Traction? Give me a break. These tunes aren't such a drastic change that it is making a huge difference that can't be compensated by easing off the pedal, unless you are just a horrible driver. Plus, why would you want to mess with the ECU like that so much, especially when APR has tuned it. Wait for it to brick itself.

I have nothing against APR with gasoline engines, they seem to do a great job. But, stick with guys that know Diesel engines when you want to get serious about it.

Yukon

Passed Driver's Ed
APR is the only tuner that can give you stock mode, and switch over to 170hp/293lb-ft (crank i assume).... Even if the DSG doesn't allow all of the torque the engine is capable of the output when the DSG is finally updated. No matter which tune you get you'll have to overcome the DSG limits, and its separate in price and application. My guy can do the DSG at any time if i like but i'm enjoying the extra push across the board right now.. see when i get bored. IMO they're all the same shit - don't believe the hype. These guys all have DYNOs, and they all watch their charts as they add more/less fuel and air. Its easy-peasy!

Again, who cares about stock mode? Plus, you should know many people have had issues with APR tunes and another company tuning the DSG. It doesn't even make sense why anyone would want to to do that. I'm sorry, I just hate to see someone go down the road and find out the hard way when other people have already had it happen to them. Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
YukonLT: you win. Thanks for the input.

After driving on the tune for a week I can say it's definitely a worthwhile update. Does it need to be switched to factory for snow? Not really. Am I glad that I can? Sure! Did it brick anything? Not at all. Will it later? No, the software is running and the upload was seamless. Would I go to Revo if I did it again? No. The APR tune is good. The service was amazing. The Revo guy was gone and the fill in guy on the phone was a punk, so tough shit.

I think you're making a mountain out of an ant hill. The APR tune is pretty good. Unless you've tried it you are just spewing diarrhea out of your mouth.

Yukon

Passed Driver's Ed
YukonLT: you win. Thanks for the input.

After driving on the tune for a week I can say it's definitely a worthwhile update. Does it need to be switched to factory for snow? Not really. Am I glad that I can? Sure! Did it brick anything? Not at all. Will it later? No, the software is running and the upload was seamless. Would I go to Revo if I did it again? No. The APR tune is good. The service was amazing. The Revo guy was gone and the fill in guy on the phone was a punk, so tough shit.

I think you're making a mountain out of an ant hill. The APR tune is pretty good. Unless you've tried it you are just spewing diarrhea out of your mouth.

I have driven a MKVI with the APR tune, I wouldn't be commenting if I hadn't. I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be a jerk, although reading what I wrote it would seem that way. Just looking out for a fellow TDI owner. Like I said, I wish you the best, I just don't want to see you regret it down the road.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I'm excited to compare my tune to a revo stage 1 on TDI both with DSG and no DSG tunes. If there's someone in Southern Ontario region that has the Revo S1 with DSG untuned then let me know because we need to embark on a fact finding mission which has to include a drag strip I think. We can even plan for warmer weather and move the same wheels from one car to another (running stock contis on 17 at this time.

So let's have at 'er. If the tunes are noticeably different then I'll drive to NY this summer and completely detail YukonLT's car. ;)

YukonLT no hard feelings brother, this is one of my first threads on the forum and it's been hilarious!

STING

Ready to race!
I'm excited to compare my tune to a revo stage 1 on TDI both with DSG and no DSG tunes. If there's someone in Southern Ontario region that has the Revo S1 with DSG untuned then let me know because we need to embark on a fact finding mission which has to include a drag strip I think. We can even plan for warmer weather and move the same wheels from one car to another (running stock contis on 17 at this time.

So let's have at 'er. If the tunes are noticeably different then I'll drive to NY this summer and completely detail YukonLT's car. ;)

YukonLT no hard feelings brother, this is one of my first threads on the forum and it's been hilarious!
I would very much doubt there would be a gnats ass difference between any stage1 disease tune.
The emissions equipment pretty much puts the brakes on how far you can go with stage1.
To push the boundaries you need to remove the dpf etc and create a soot chucker!
No thanks! :thumbdown:
Gotta love tuner wars :laugh: