GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Tiguanowner

Well verdict in on my SUV. It needs a bunch of parts and cylinder head . They said $2,207 in parts and 2200 in labor . It was a timing belt tensioner failure . VW called dealer and said they will not pay because I do not have service records. I have some I had faxed to vw like a couple oil changes and tires. Just found a couple more. Not sure what they want. I got the car around 30 something thousand miles. I have lost a few of the records through moves I think. I cant find all . Never thought a 30K car would need engine work like this before I traded it in.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Not sure what they want. I got the car around 30 something thousand miles. I have lost a few of the records through moves I think. I cant find all . Never thought a 30K car would need engine work like this before I traded it in.

They are looking for proof of the 10,20,30 services I am sure. Did you buy it CPO? Or just randomly? That sucks

Tiguanowner

They are looking for proof of the 10,20,30 services I am sure. Did you buy it CPO? Or just randomly? That sucks

I bought it as a certified preowned .. It had 1 owner before me and 30k miles when I bought it in 2011. It now has 62k miles and is 2k past warranty with cpo the dealer stated. I did not go to VW for oil changes but different places. Either way this should not be happening to an engine with 62K miles. I will try calling back again tomorrow.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I bought it as a certified preowned .. It had 1 owner before me and 30k miles when I bought it in 2011. It now has 62k miles and is 2k past warranty with cpo the dealer stated. I did not go to VW for oil changes but different places. Either way this should not be happening to an engine with 62K miles. I will try calling back again tomorrow.

Ah, thought it had 30ish now. Yeah, they are looking for the every 10k full services, NOT just oil changes. I agree, should not be happening, and it is a known issue, maybe call into VWoA and plead.

Tiguanowner

Ah, thought it had 30ish now. Yeah, they are looking for the every 10k full services, NOT just oil changes. I agree, should not be happening, and it is a known issue, maybe call into VWoA and plead.

well could only find a few oil change records but finally said 25% of bill maybe more if i can find more but think i lost them

Ryan1992

Brought my GTI for its 30K service today (@ 29,950). They called me saying it was ready to be picked up....

Went to pick it up, and my serv mngr said they were bringing it around to get it washed, when it just stalled out. Couldn't restart, and they're saying it's the timing chain tensioner. I've been tuned for about 8K, and they said it didn't matter. All will be covered under wrnty; everything but the bottom end of the engine is being replaced.

UncleDaddy

Passed Driver's Ed
good to know they will repair these failures even if tuned

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Brought my GTI for its 30K service today (@ 29,950). They called me saying it was ready to be picked up....

Went to pick it up, and my serv mngr said they were bringing it around to get it washed, when it just stalled out. Couldn't restart, and they're saying it's the timing chain tensioner. I've been tuned for about 8K, and they said it didn't matter. All will be covered under wrnty; everything but the bottom end of the engine is being replaced.

shit's creepy as fuck...

very glad they are taking care of it for you, that is pretty awesome.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Definitely will fix it under warranty, best place it could have happened.