GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil in the air filter šŸ˜ž

yoshigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Cleaning air filter todayā€and found some oil in the air filter:(
Any good news is appreciated
Iā€™m hoping not worse case.
Thinking start with valve seal leak, or a ring problem maybe vacuum leak???? šŸ¤•
Still very new to the VW family
Running with Cobb access port, intake, stage 2, & cat delete
150000miles
Just replaced all plugs, coil packs, oil pressure sensor.
thanks for any help I get

Attachments

• D391A830-7A0C-446B-A022-AC4406C6768A.jpeg
    D391A830-7A0C-446B-A022-AC4406C6768A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I'd look into the failure prone PCV.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Dude, that's likely the oil from the filter itself. These are "reusable" oiled air filters. You're supposed to clean them with the special filter cleaner and then RE-OIL them... VERY highly unlikely for the ENGINE oil to have travelled from the cylinders to the intake manifold to the intercooler to the pipes and then into your air filter.....

GolNat

Autocross Champion
^ yes if its an oil type filter (I didn't think they made them for the GTI) then it is probably that.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
^ yes if its an oil type filter (I didn't think they made them for the GTI) then it is probably that.

He has a pic in the thread showing it to be the COBB cone type air filter for the COBB air intake. You probably didn't see the pic or would have had a similar reply as mine.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Dude, that's likely the oil from the filter itself. These are "reusable" oiled air filters. You're supposed to clean them with the special filter cleaner and then RE-OIL them... VERY highly unlikely for the ENGINE oil to have travelled from the cylinders to the intake manifold to the intercooler to the pipes and then into your air filter.....
He is right. Cobbs website says it is a pre oiled filter.

Once again proving Cobb should stay the hell away from our cars and stick with shitty subarus

Phur

Autocross Champion
The APR filter is also oiled.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Stay away from anything oiled.

I run Injen dry filters on 2 different vehicles and they are outstanding.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

This.

The problem is not with an oiled filter, it's maintaining it properly. When it comes to cleaning and re-oiling less is more.

LOL I remember my first K&N clean job, decades ago on my 69 Camaro. The damn thing was DRIPPING when I re-installed it. Lucky, nothing to kill in that car.

But yeah if there's engine oil in your air filter it's almost certainly the PCV system.