GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil leak after 30k service

canuckcharlie

Ready to race!
Just noticed a small stream of oil in the garage after getting 30k service a week ago. I checked the engine oil level with the dip stick and it's still over the max level.

Weird thing is if the drain plug wasnt tightened it should have leak a lot more oil over a week. Is there an over flow valve where excess oil will leak out if engine oil is over filled?

I think i have read a thread with the same problem but i cant find it.

Thanks in advance

CharlieFoxtrot

Passed Driver's Ed
Take it back to the dealer or whoever did the oil change and have them check it out. It's probably nothing more than they didn't tighten the oil filter cannister enough. I do my own oil changes and that's what it was when I noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor after my last oil and filter change.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Main reason why I do my own oil changes......less headaches and I know it's done right.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Take it back to the dealer or whoever did the oil change and have them check it out. It's probably nothing more than they didn't tighten the oil filter cannister enough. I do my own oil changes and that's what it was when I noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor after my last oil and filter change.

+1

Cyclehobby

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with the issue of the dealer tech overfilling the oil. That's bad. Take it back and ask them to do it over - correctly this time.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
+1, get them to look at it, fix it etc. warranty. In general you never want to have oil overfilled on any engine.

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
I just did my own oil change and now have a small leak. I hand tighten my plug, do you think it's cause I didn't torque it? This sucks.. I didn't want to take it to my local VW cause I don't trust them, I've seem them do messed up stuff

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I just did my own oil change and now have a small leak. I hand tighten my plug, do you think it's cause I didn't torque it? This sucks.. I didn't want to take it to my local VW cause I don't trust them, I've seem them do messed up stuff

torque the drain plug bolt to 22ft lbs. I had the same issue the first time I did the oil change in this car.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Fumoto valve, end of problem.

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
no i didnt change it. i used the oem one, dang it.. where can i get one