GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Okay, What In The #$@% (Antenna Related)

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Today I got the "Dual Fakra" antenna adapter that was recommended on this site for aftermarket decks in our cars. ...Only, it wasn't the right adapter...

If you look here you can see Metra's supposed "dual fakra" adapter. Notice that the model number is 40-EU56. It clearly has a little box into which TWO lines are come out of to go to the dual fakra jack connector.

Now, look here. You see the same model adapter but it's completely different. It lacks the second line entirely, the amplifier box is different, and no where on the page does it use the word "dual". That's the one I was sent even though I ordered the first one with the two line and the square box (with the "dual" marker in the description.

What's the deal? What's the point of the adapter with only one line? Why even have two heads on the jack end with only one line going to it? I was waiting for this thing for forever (SUPER slow mail for some reason), and now I've got nothin'. NOTHIN', I TELLS YA'!

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
one antenna is for Sirius, and one antenna is for am/fm

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
one antenna is for Sirius, and one antenna is for am/fm

Ya, but that's the two separate connectors. There are actually three antenna connectors in the Golf. Two of them are one unit (the dual fakra jack) and are white. The other connector is a single green jack.

I'm actually surprised that people on here are indicating that they haven't seen all three connectors. I'm wondering if there is a difference between the wiring for Canadian models compared to US models (I can't see that being true, though).

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Update for anyone who cares: Metra no longer makes a true dual fakra adapter. They sell a single wire adapter with an end that has a dual head (with no wire going to the second head - as pictured in the second link above) and give it the same model number while not actually using the phrase "dual fakra" anymore.

Shady.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
I should add that it would seem that the only true dual fakra connector for the Golf (at least) is the Connects2 CT27AA56, as far as I can tell.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
mine has a dual plug only, i did find some extra info though, let me go grab the terminal layout about the antenna. ill be back with a file in a minute

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
I've since installed the TRUE dual fakra adapter (Connects2 CT27AA56) and, unless it's pure coincidence, it does, in fact, make a big difference. Every station is coming in clearer.

Again, it may be pure coincidence, maybe this newest adapter is just better for some other reason, but... better is better.

Is there a sticky for "universal truths about VW GTI/Golf purchases" on this forum? If so someone should add, "The one and only radio adapter anyone should get if they change out there OEM deck is the Connects2 CT27AA56".