GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Our TDI tires

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
So I went in for my 20k service last week, and had them address the issue of excessive road noise. They attributed it to the Continental ProContact 2 tires being worn. Anybody else experience this? These same tires came on my dad's SAAB and developed excessive road noise too. It just irks me because it makes my car louder and makes it seem like its almost got something wrong with it. Can't wait to replace this junk!

Draz

Ready to race!
I haven't noticed excessive noise from them. I also don't think they should be worn at 20K either. I'm at 13K and they have very little wear and sound the same as they did on day one. :iono:

lemarin

Ready to race!
Continental ? You guys are lucky, my TDI arrived with 16" Hankook Optimus as OEM equipment....

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
:laugh: if you think the continentals are loud... They are way quieter than my current setup with Sumitomos.

BTW, make sure you get an all season tire to replace the current setup, summer tires are really loud.

valeoray

Ready to race!

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Just found my old thread! Figured I'd continue on with it.

Car still makes noise with 4 brand new Bridgestone Potenza RE-760 AS.

So I've been debating a failing wheel bearing. Research I've conducted has led me to this inclination. The car has not been re-aligned yet, but I've never experienced an alignment that could make a car make noise like this unless you can visibly and physically feel the car shift when you let go of the wheel. So car get serviced in 2014, I'll let you know what deal is since tires and road noise are big topics with our cars.

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Funny you say that, they were my first choice, just couldn't afford them. I think Bridgestone is honestly second best though, just my opinion from experience.

perryis5150

Passed Driver's Ed
Theres a very long thread on tdiclub on tires. I am in the process of looking for tires as well. Still not sure what to get but it seems that Conti's will be in my future.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The contis were the quiest tires I had on my TDI. They were quieter than the DWS, and especially quieter than the Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Mine came with Contis and they were alright, but they were sloppy. I prefer Yokohama YK series, or Michelin... Anything is better than oem tires on ANY car. Just take the Porsche F and F star died in. On Stock Tires, and Professional racers swore at getting better tires was mod number one that was needed immediately.

jade eyed wolf

Ready to race!
Funny you say that, they were my first choice, just couldn't afford them. I think Bridgestone is honestly second best though, just my opinion from experience.

So just put them on your front wheels, and enjoy some lift-off over-steer in the tight corners! (On a track of course) ;)

cfd_guy

Mine came with Contis and they were alright, but they were sloppy. I prefer Yokohama YK series, or Michelin... Anything is better than oem tires on ANY car. Just take the Porsche F and F star died in. On Stock Tires, and Professional racers swore at getting better tires was mod number one that was needed immediately.

:confused:

Do you even know what the stock tires on a Carrara GT are?

Mine came with the Continentals. They are great tires for normal everyday driving. I don't really know how these tires are sloppy because the cars themselves are sloppy. This is because they are normal daily drivers.