GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Overheating gearbox, what to do???

Jamalyousaf98

So i brought a mk6 golf gti a couple of weeks ago & i took the car for a spin, after an hour of driving i pulled over and could smell something burning, i thought it was the tires so I carried on driving and was at a set of traffic lights, as soon i pressed the gas the car came up with the message of overheating gearbox stop now and the car was unable to move. I turned the engine off for 5 mins and turned it back on and the message disappeared & i drove back home slowly

does anyone have any idea on what i should do and how I should tackle this problem? I was thinking a DSG oil change even though it was done at 48k and now the car is on 67k, baring in mind the mileage may not be true?

ben_m

Ready to race!
Do you have documentation about the DSG change at 48K? If not then I would either take it to a shop or DIY. Dealer charges about $350-400. Also, what kind of driving were you doing....

Jamalyousaf98

No documentation, but is stated on the service schedule that a DSG service was done

i was thinking of getting a full service done, including a dsg service hopefully that would fix the issue as the oil may be old

synthetikv

Ready to race!
Check reputable shops in your area too. Dealerships aren't always perfect. There's 4 dealers in my area, but only one I'd trust with my car. Price is likely going to be around the same 300-400ish depending on their hourly rates. The service isn't difficult its just time consuming.

I'm actually bouncing between doing it myself and just having my local mechanic do it in the next month or so. Part of me wants to do the whole "help your local businesses during this shitty time" thing, while the other part of me is bored and cheap so spending an hour or two fn around in the garage wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If you change your own oil, you can do the $400 DSG service yourself, it isnt much more complicated. You can get the parts kit for $125-150.