GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Personalized Vinyls and 3D printed accessories

Which FrankenTurbo Vinyl Badge is your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I'm putting this thread out there as I've got some requests for custom badges, vinyls and some other accessories.

I can do center caps for wheels, GoPro mounts, custom Badges, vent mounts for mobile devices and even print the lug covers that come with the stock wheels. I can print/cut your designs or work with you to design something one off... I'll try to add some examples to this thread as I complete projects. My equipment does have some constraints vinyls can only be one color unless they're layered. 3D prints will mostly be a single color but I do have dual extrusion capabilities, however modeling for 2 colors is more complex and time consuming. My build volume is 8"x5.5"x5.5" with my current printer but plan on building a new one in the next couple months so message me with your requests and we will work something out!

Pricing: the way I work this is you are paying me for my time, materials, and the costs of running the equipment. So objects are priced based on those factors.

3D prints: in single color ABS or PLA with a 30% Infill Density

Sizes: Height x Width x Depth/Thicnkess

• GoPro Mount with mounting Hardware (requires GoPro Case and screw) - 20mm x 200mm x 40mm = $20.00
  • Vent Mount - 41.9mm x 70.0mm x 40.0mm = $15.00
  • FrankenTurbo Badge - 56.9mm x 168.0mm x 4.0mm = $12.00
  • F23T Badge - 30mm x 113mm x 4.0mm = $8.00
  • FrankenTurbo "T" Badge - 42.5mm x 18.25mm x 4.0mm = $5.00

For custom designs/sizes/density or Premium filaments like ColorFabb XT (strongest filament) , Wood, Flexible Filaments, Carbon Fiber (**This will not have the CF weave pattern but there is CF laced into the filament for additional strength) etc. I can get you a custom quote.

ABS is a bit more rigid than PLA and has a higher melting temp, if the item isn't going to be in the engine bay I would recommend PLA.

Vinyls:

• Decals: $0.25 per square inch. IE: a 6x6 image will use 36 square inches of material and cost you $9

• Shirts: Standard Color Tee Shirt (white, grey, black)

Single Color Vinyl

Single Side Simple Image

Short Sleeve: S - XL: $12

XXL+: add $1

2 Sides Simple Images: add $2

Long Sleeve: S - XL: $15

XXL+ add $1

2 Sides Simple Images: add $2

Complex Image: add $2

Multi color images: Contact me

Specialty Shirts: Contact me

Below are some pictures of the items I've printed. 3D prints aren't for everyone as the products are created through additive manufacturing: In 3D printing, successive layers of material are formed under computer control to create an object. This means that you can see the individual layers that comprise the object and in some cases like the FrankenTurbo Badge prototype pictured below when printing at very high speeds you can lose some detail. Slower print speeds will yield better results. There is a process with ABS where you can use Acetone vapors to liquify the outer layer of the object slightly to remove some of the visible lines and give the object a more "molded" and glossy look. I'll continue to share pictures as I get more VW/GTI objects printed and in their final production quality finish.

Keep in mind anything can be customized, GoPro mounts can have your screen name or other preferred text or logos for example.

Last edited:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Can you do a rear badge insert for magma orange?

Are you asking for a replica of the OEM "GTI" badge in Magma Orange?

I can replicate the badge, and I can get orange filament for sure but I'm not certain if it will be an exact match to the color you're looking for.

-- PMs sent to MorePowah and bart2278

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
First round of trials with acetone exposure to remove 3D printed layer details. https://vimeo.com/150138906

Side by side comparisons. It becomes glossy and the side that was not flat against the print bed smoothed out. The fine lines in the edges are almost completely lost. But the points where the item rests during exposure are visible as you can see in the comparison where the untreated piece has the flat surface that was against the print bed faced upward.

Last edited:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Doug from FrankenTurbo and I are working to offer a special edition vinyl badge to the community. Attached are the designs we came up with. I'll be adding a poll to the thread when I get to a PC please vote and share your thoughts!

Last edited: