• Yes

Votes: 627 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 8.6%

• Total voters

JeremiahIsaiah

Go Kart Champion
Yes.

I learned how to drive manual on my best friend's 2001 Integra Type R. The car was beautiful and it was his baby so I was honored when he offered to teach me and with his prized possession as well. First day was a stall mania (no grinding or else he would murk me), almost gave up lol. After the first day I got gradually better, by day 3 I was feeling confident and was capable. Thats when I figured out the "feel" for engagement/disengagement....once a person gets that down its as easy as pie. And of course hearing/feeling the revs and shifting appropriately.

funkyhunky

Passed Driver's Ed
I learned to drive when I was a little kid on my dad's chevy pickup, it had a "3 on the tree" transmission.....Guess I'm kind of dating myself.
dan

ImmI

Ready to race!
Got a manual license with a Toyota Echo but I feel as if it's wasted. I got my license 5 months ago and haven't driven manual since. Both my parents cars are auto and mine is DSG, pity really.

psode27

Passed Driver's Ed
Learned in a POS early 90's nissan truck with no bed on it.... bouncy as hell on a bumpy road! Friend of mine was given a 77 CJ5 with a 304 and a 3 speed and 33" tires, probably not what we needed... that thing was a beast in the mud or snow, only got it stuck 2-3 times I can recall. One day after two a day practices for football we thought we would be really "cool" and do a big burn out (we had smaller tires on it at this point). With three big dudes in the back seat over the rear axle, me in the passenger seat, and my buddy driving he proceeded to drop the clutch. The tires however didnt spin. The tires hooked, the front two tires came off the ground ( not a lot) and then the rear axle broke! About a week later we learned how to replace a rear axle.... Getting off topic, but thats the first thing I think of when I think of that Jeep...

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
I learned on a "three on the tree" '63 Rambler when I got my drivers license in '68.

I've driven a stick shift ever since.

Sadly, for reasons related to lower leg / foot problems, I'm finding it more difficult to drive a stick. :(

So, a few months ago I decided to sell my '02 GTI, and order a '12 GTI Autobahn with the DSG transmission. I figured it was the next best thing.

(my son is buying my '02, so it's staying in the family) :)

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion

BoilerDub

Passed Driver's Ed
I learned to drive stick on my dad's M3 E46. It had all the torque in the world, but it didn't help that the clutch was stiffer than trying to give an elephant a CPR compression. I had to take it out of gear at stoplights so that my knee would stop shaking.

But I did get to drive it to school for a week. :)

Stick GTI is a little bit more user friendly.

madbikes

Ready to race!
I learned stick shift on a Mk.III Supra with a stage 1 clutch that belongs to someone I used to hang out with. That was not an easy way to learn, but definitely taught me modulating my left foot. Since then I either drive stick shift at either test drive events (being able to drive a manual Corvette at "GM Autoshow in Motion" was the most fun) or moving training cars around in my school's auto shop.

cfultz

Learned on a 89 Jetta GL back when I was 15. Just bought my GTI today, 6 speed, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Learned to drive a stick on a friends 55 Chevy when I was 15, i'll be 67 in march. I've only had manuals mostly high performance and foreign cars.

phencar

Learned how to drive a MT on a 1993 dodge shadow. Man what a beauty that was. I remember one day starting from a stop in fifth gear - then I had to replace the clutch.

Top gear

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm 17 now and my first car was an 08 Jeep Wrangler auto (no power), but when we move my dod got me a real car with a manuel. It been a week now i say i can drive it with out stalling. I can't say i have master the heel-two and rev matching quite yet but I'm getting there.

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
I'm 17 now and my first car was an 08 Jeep Wrangler auto (no power), but when we move my dod got me a real car with a manuel. It been a week now i say i can drive it with out stalling. I can't say i have master the heel-two and rev matching quite yet but I'm getting there.

You are the most illiterate 17 year old I have ever met

McQueen77

Banned

Best quote ever.