GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Premium Gas

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
Only premium gas in the tank (GTI)?
What are the pros and cons if I don't use it.
The difference between regular and premium is less than $3 per tank so what's the big deal? The manual and fuel door specifies premium so use it.

pvivino

Ready to race!
With regular gas you will set off the knock sensor. The engine will then run at reduced output. No damage done - but why drive a GTI if you don't want the full output of the engine?

ame519

Passed Driver's Ed
That's what i figured...i heard that reg gas will get less MPG so just they cancel out pretty much

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
If you can't afford premium gas, you shouldn't be driving a brand new car... with a turbo.

/thread

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!

daihard

Ready to race!
I could never imagine myself filling my GTI up with anything but premium.

That said, let's be clear on this. The 2010 GTI does not require premium gas. It is "recommended for maximum performance." :)

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
The difference between regular and premium is less than $3 per tank so what's the big deal? The manual and fuel door specifies premium so use it.

$3 per tank? Consider yourself lucky then. Difference for me is more than double that. Not a huge number, but it will add up.

That said, let's be clear on this. The 2010 GTI does not require premium gas. It is "recommended for maximum performance." :)

^ This.

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!

If you can't afford premium gas, you shouldn't be driving a brand new car... with a turbo.

/thread

^^^ Exactly.... there's really no arguement.

In our place premium gas is higher than $3. You're lucky you have $3 premium gas there.

Ratherbeincabo wasn't saying that premium gas was $3/gal., he was saying that the difference between a tank full of regular and premium was about $3, given that most stations (here anyway) charge anywhere from 5-15 cents more per grade of fuel, I'd say that's about right.

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
In our place premium gas is higher than $3. You're lucky you have $3 premium gas there.
What I was saying is that the difference between filling up using regular and premium is at most $3. The difference between regular and premium is generally $.020 per gallon so fill ups are about 13 to 14 gallons times $.020

thisisaustin9221

Ready to race!
It'll pay for itself anyway, you'll get more miles on a tank of premium than regular and here in SC it's only 20 cents more for each gallon so you only spend almost 3 bucks extra.
Try using the search function, when I first got my car about 6 months ago I started a thread identical to this, I was just curious if people actually ran the premium. Now I would never put anything less in my car.

daihard

Ready to race!
jmblur said:
^^^ Exactly.... there's really no arguement.
Let's not be judgmental here. Like I said above, the GTI does not require premium gas. Besides, different people have different reasons for choosing regular gas over premium. Some may have bought a GTI partly because they don't need to feed it with premium gas. :)