GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Price vs. Performance: What do you choose?

Which Do YOU Prefer?

• Mediocre Performance (Lower Quality/Undetermined Reliability) but Priced Lower?

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Higher Performance (Better Quality/Reliability) Product but Priced Higher?

Votes: 105 90.5%

• Total voters

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
That's strange because everything I've seen on it has been very positive

every single review I've read on that refresh has been negative.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
every single review I've read on that refresh has been negative.

Ok?

We're reading different things. Let's leave it at that then.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Every review I've read on it has been something like, "It's an improvement from the '12, which was one of the worst new cars we've driven in a long time."

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Ok?

We're reading different things. Let's leave it at that then.

I'm simply stating what I've read in major car mags, I may not have seen other reviews elsewhere.

Every review I've read on it has been something like, "It's an improvement from the '12, which was one of the worst new cars we've driven in a long time."

so wait, was there two refreshes the last few years? im so lost...

C4L

Banned
I think we're on the same page, C4L, we just look for slightly different things when shopping.

McQueen... on the money with whole foods, sketchy farmers markets = awesome produce for cheap. Everything else, I get at Aldi and Walmart Super Center. I can deal with a bad shopping experience once or twice a month to save like $150/month.

Not saying that you don't save that much from Whole Foods or something but try comparing the cost between Aldi/Walmart with say Target or Kroger or whatever large local grocer you have.

I use to shop at Walmart SOME in college because I thought it was cheaper (because they told me it was and the store made me feel like it should be) and then started going to Target and Meijer (large local grocer) and Kroger and found the prices to be nearly the same on nearly the same goods from a much nicer store. As such, I haven't been in a Walmart in years. Never been to Aldi...

They convince you it is cheaper because they explicitly tell you that it is and their stores make you feel like it should be cheaper. Whole Foods is expensive but you get higher quality goods. Whether you value them or not.

C4L

Banned

That is what I have seen too. Positive improvements to a negative car. It ends up somewhere in the middle. Its all contextual. They compare it to the previous model to make it look better than if they compared it to the better competitors. Publications rarely publish bad reviews of anything anymore.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, they recognized the flop of the first refresh of the Civic and updated it again rather quickly to address the issue.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, they recognized the flop of the first refresh of the Civic and updated it again rather quickly to address the issue.

ahh OK, I stand corrected then - Sorry Z. I was thinking of the original refresh not the refresh of the refresh. Glad they addressed specific concerns tho - it's always really nice to see companies who listen to their customers.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Not saying that you don't save that much from Whole Foods or something but try comparing the cost between Aldi/Walmart with say Target or Kroger or whatever large local grocer you have.

I use to shop at Walmart SOME in college because I thought it was cheaper (because they told me it was and the store made me feel like it should be) and then started going to Target and Meijer (large local grocer) and Kroger and found the prices to be nearly the same on nearly the same goods from a much nicer store. As such, I haven't been in a Walmart in years. Never been to Aldi...

They convince you it is cheaper because they explicitly tell you that it is and their stores make you feel like it should be cheaper. Whole Foods is expensive but you get higher quality goods. Whether you value them or not.

Target is similarly priced and nicer, but the selection is really lacking. I don't know if it's the particualr Target near me or all of their stores, but the Walmart has an entire grocery store and Target's is a small section with very limited produce and meats and limited brands for other products.

Aldi is just way cheaper than anything else, period. They also have a somewhat small selection though.

Our "regurlar" food chain is Harris Teeter, which is definitely pricier than the Walmart/Target contingent. We also have Food Lion, Bi-Lo and some others, but none close by. They're starting to put Publix markets here, we'll see how that goes.

C4L

Banned
Target is similarly priced and nicer, but the selection is really lacking. I don't know if it's the particualr Target near me or all of their stores, but the Walmart has an entire grocery store and Target's is a small section with very limited produce and meats and limited brands for other products.

Aldi is just way cheaper than anything else, period. They also have a somewhat small selection though.

Our "regurlar" food chain is Harris Teeter, which is definitely pricier than the Walmart/Target contingent. We also have Food Lion, Bi-Lo and some others, but none close by. They're starting to put Publix markets here, we'll see how that goes.

Fair enough, shop where you want, of course. I am just saying that, in overview, VALUE can also be intrinsic in how that purchase makes you feel. It is too hard to quantify.

Value isn't simply a cost or quantity metric or even simply a how good or quality metric. Not saying you, but many perceive value as 'quantity per dollar'. How much they get.

It is the American mass market consumer way. More = Better or Bigger = Better. For me, Better = Better.

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted."
- Albert Einstein

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted."
- Albert Einstein

:word: If this weren't true, we'd all have MS3s.