GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem Dealer Can't Diagnose

Spooled24

Ready to race!
Hey guys,
Lately my car has been hard starting, meaning when I turn it on it cranks for an extended amount of time (say 3-5 seconds too long) and then turns on. Currently my car is at the dealership and they can't seem to find out what is wrong. They replaced both my fuel pumps, battery and injectors. They said the car still starts hard even after the new parts and are still trying to diagnose what else it could be. I have searched through the forums and google and I can't think of anything else that could be wrong. I was wondering if you guys have any input on what else it could be, if anyone has had the same problem, or advice. The car has been in service for 5 days now and I just want it back.

Spooled24

Ready to race!
Spark plugs/coil packs maybe? Should't it show any errors via VCDS?

I have R8 coils. I also asked about if it could be the sparks and they said they looked fine when they changed my injectors.

try the oil pressure sensor.
When they call me with an update today, I will ask if they checked this. Thanks.

Is there another dealer?
This is the only mod friendly dealer nearby.

Ive heard that mkv's have this problem and its a check valve near the lpfp.
I will ask about this too. I wonder if the HPFP would have the same type of check valve? Also I wonder if when they changed out the fuel pump, if the new part comes with a new check valve?

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I don't know that it's a common issue, but could it be the starter?

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I had a car in last week, we did a carbon cleaning and intake manifold replacement. The customer had an extended crank which we also looked at. It was an APR stage 2 car and when we switch it to the stock mode the car started fine. When you switched back to the 93 octane file it would take 3-4 seconds to fire. Check your tune if the car is flashed...

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Might seem silly, but did you check the battery?
My OEM battery lasted for 5 years and when I replaced it the car fired up instantly whereas it used to take an extra second or two.

Also I had a boost leak on my intake manifold and it would take a second to start and would idle funny while it did its CBFA startup nonsense.
I just replaced my intake manifold over the weekend and now the car fires up INSTANTLY and purrs like a kitten.

Spooled24

Ready to race!
I had a car in last week, we did a carbon cleaning and intake manifold replacement. The customer had an extended crank which we also looked at. It was an APR stage 2 car and when we switch it to the stock mode the car started fine. When you switched back to the 93 octane file it would take 3-4 seconds to fire. Check your tune if the car is flashed...

Car is APR stage 1 91 oct only, no stock mode. Car also only has 14k miles. What do you suggest I do?

Last edited:

Spooled24

Ready to race!
if your so concerned about it, flash back to stock to elminate that side of it.
I don't have the ability to do that unless I go back to the place where I got tuned. Plus the dealer has had my car awhile now and they want to hold on to it because they want to figure out exactly whats wrong with it. They are having a VW Tech look at from the company apparently. I was thinking maybe get new spark plugs gapped to .028. But we will see if I can get the car back.

Last edited:

Jaber

Modero
I don't have the ability to do that unless I go back to the place where I got tuned. Plus the dealer has had my car awhile now and they want to hold on to it because they want to figure out exactly whats wrong with it. They are having a VW Tech look at from the company apparently. I was thinking maybe get new spark plugs gapped to .028. But we will see if I can get the car back.

That might be bad, for warranty and mods.

Uberryan

Banned
if your so concerned about it, flash back to stock to elminate that side of it.

Lol?

Things I'd check for...

Oil sensor
Ignition system/starter/immobilizer
Fuel pump check valve and pressure sensor (the thing that primes the fuel pump and fueling system when you open your door), but I'm not 100% these HPFPs on the TSI have a similar system to the MKV FSI HPFPs
Intake throttle body
Intake valves for carbon build up, but at 14k miles seems a bit of a stretch.
Tune, return to your tuner and explain you've had some issues. See if something is funky with the port flash burn they did, as I assume they likely didn't open up your ECU to wire in the resistor like they did a few years ago.

I trust you've scanned it with Vagcom for codes and none were present?