GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quest to defeat ESP... Join!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
what's funny is that the javascript APR have on their website is identical to the code that sc0ttyB from the Vortex wrote and is posted on http://carsareweapons.com/golfR.html. this can be verified by viewing the source code on both pages.

Yeah... sc0ttyB posted his code in a vortex thread too so I'd figure that it was open-source and fair use etc.

Given that it was contributed willingly, it makes sense others are using it. Anyway, I get what your saying but it doesn surprise me. Why reinvent the wheel if it works?

chris101

Ready to race!
yeah, safer cars are stupid. :rolleyes:

Actually, it makes many driver's more stupid. No one has to learn car control any more or take responsibility for stupid moves because the aids are supposed to save them every time!

`ABS and traction control are for people who can't drive`

freedomgli

Passed Driver's Ed
ABS and traction control are for people who can't drive`
Which is 99% of all drivers on the road. And they're on the same roads as you and I. People crashed a lot 5, 10, 20, 50 years ago. Hence, the continually push for safer vehicles. We shouldn't ignore driver training, but we shouldn't ignore obvious driver aids, either.

In before people tell me they can brake better than 4-channel ABS because they have 4 brake pedals and 4 legs and can operate each one independently at 30Hz.

chris101

Ready to race!
^ I hope you realize ABS means longer stopping distances (just that you stop in a straight line better with ABS) and save yourself from flatspotting tires in panic stops.

freedomgli

Passed Driver's Ed
^ I hope you realize ABS means longer stopping distances.

Actually, on most surfaces, ABS gets you stopped in shorter distance because you're more likely to use all the available traction at each wheel (instead of using less than full braking capability because you're attempting to threshold brake at the limit of the tire with the least amount of available traction) and because of things like dynamic rear proportioning. The greater stability is just an added benefit. Today's ABS hardware and software is so much better than the old ABS of yesteryear.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
The ESC in my GTI (presumably about the same as what's in the R) is a really good thing for the vast majority of drivers - especially people taking the car out on tracks. It makes it damn near impossible to lose control and only slows you down when you get right up to like 95% of the car's capabilities.

In a way I am glad it takes so much effort to turn it off because most people I've seen even at track days really are not ready to be running out there without it. Unless you're in the highest HPDE group at a minimum, the ESC is not slowing you down.

That being said I personally am quite glad we finally have a way to turn it off - I expect it will be worth a second or two per lap on big tracks.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
How about hardware compatibility? Any chance us '10-'11 GTI owners can swap in a '12 ECU and expect everything to work?

*edit*
.....but as much as I'd like to turn it off for some hooligan fun, but I find that on the street the faster approach is to adjust my driving to get on the throttle a touch earlier to keep the rear from coming out far enough to engage the ESP. On a recent tour of the North Carolina mountains I found that the only time the ESP engaged itself was when I made a legitimate error.

So my tip is this.... if you feel that ESP is slowing you down, try getting on the throttle earlier and see if that helps. Not so much that you get on-throttle understeer, but with the right amount of forward thrust the car will track cleanly out of corners.

Last edited:

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
How about hardware compatibility? Any chance us '10-'11 GTI owners can swap in a '12 ECU and expect everything to work?

*edit*
.....but as much as I'd like to turn it off for some hooligan fun, but I find that on the street the faster approach is to adjust my driving to get on the throttle a touch earlier to keep the rear from coming out far enough to engage the ESP. On a recent tour of the North Carolina mountains I found that the only time the ESP engaged itself was when I made a legitimate error.

So my tip is this.... if you feel that ESP is slowing you down, try getting on the throttle earlier and see if that helps. Not so much that you get on-throttle understeer, but with the right amount of forward thrust the car will track cleanly out of corners.
swap the abs module and hope it works? find someone with a 2012 and borrow there module to see what happens