GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R&T Test data: breaking distance???

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I just picked up the September issue of Road & Track, and the back section of the magazine has as summary of the performance data for all the cars that they have tested. I was very surprised to learn that the breaking distance from 60mph for the current GTI (tested Aug. 2010) was 143 feet, and written in bold type, indicating that it is an extreme value for that data measure, i.e. the longest breaking distance???

Can that be accurate? Many other cars like the Buick Regal (131 ft) and Ford Fiesta (138 ft) had better numbers???

Here's a link to the file:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/content...n/1/file/Road-Test-Summary-September-2011.pdf

I'm truly surprized. Any insights? Thoughts?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think you have to see what tires they used when testing....all the articles seems to have different spec tires, as some were tested with summer tire(that does not seem to be available in most states), and some were tested with all seasons...

krische

vdubber in training
I think you have to see what tires they used when testing....all the articles seems to have different spec tires, as some were tested with summer tire(that does not seem to be available in most states), and some were tested with all seasons...

Yep I thought I remember reading/watching a review and they said their long stopping distance was likely due to the All-Season tires.

woofie2

Ready to race!
I thought my TDI had better brakes than the GTI, but then the GTI brakes got better as they were used.

I wonder how many miles were on the test vehicle, brake-in makes a huge difference in performance numbers! (on most cars)

ghostwind

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep I thought I remember reading/watching a review and they said their long stopping distance was likely due to the All-Season tires.

Yep. The braking distance with the stock "No-Season" Dunlops is a total joke...The brakes themselves could use a lot less assist though..

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
The brakes on the GTI are pretty bad for a 'sports car.'

My old 97 honda had much better brakes. I owned for a shot time an 05 Audi a4 and the first day I drove it I almost rear ended someone because the brakes are so bad compared to my Honda Prelude. The GTI is better, but not by much. As mentioned above, tires can make a huge difference. The all season tires that come on the Denver 17"s are terrible, and probably add many feet to the braking distance compared to some good summer performance tires.

I have considered upgrading to some Hawk brake pads, because going with larger rotors and a full brake job is very expensive.

This is one of the GTIs flaws, however there is only so much you can expect on a car that stickers in the 23K range, and for that, the car is still a great deal. Just my 2 cents.

Also, just to throw out some worthless information, I got to drive a new 911 turbo the other day with the $10,000 carbon ceramic brakes, and I can honestly say that they blew my mind. You just think about putting your foot on the brake and it feels like hit a brick wall. Those brakes are amazing...

krische

vdubber in training
I think the weirdest thing with the brakes for me was the software control behind. At least I imagine there is some kind of software control going on. Because it seems to me the rate of brake application matters more than the actual brake position.

For example, if I slowly go from not pressing the pedal to 50% application, I just slow down. But if I quickly jab the brakes from 0 to 50%, it brakes a lot harder.

It seems like it's programmed to assist in panic breaking.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
I think the weirdest thing with the brakes for me was the software control behind. At least I imagine there is some kind of software control going on. Because it seems to me the rate of brake application matters more than the actual brake position.

For example, if I slowly go from not pressing the pedal to 50% application, I just slow down. But if I quickly jab the brakes from 0 to 50%, it brakes a lot harder.

It seems like it's programmed to assist in panic breaking.

I think that just has to do with the fluid pressure, i.e. if you ever lose brake pressure you are supposed to rapidly pump the brakes. I think on any car the quicker your foot comes down on the petal the harder it's going to brake (at least initially).

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I just replaced my front pads (no rears for Bosch yet?) with Hawk HPS on Saturday. I kept the stock rotors as I only had 7k miles on em. I'm also running summer Hankook V12's. After bedding them in and then reapplying some grease to quiet the squeals, I can say there is "some" improvement. I don't have any hard numbers and am only going by feel. They are still mushy to me.

My question is, is there anything we can do short of replacing the entire system to get that same sharp brake response in BMW's and Audi's? Will replacing the rear pads and changing to SS lines make any more difference or am I expecting too much?

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
My brakes feel like normal German brakes.

The ContiProContacts that some as a standard All-Season, suck.

There are a lot of factors that go into braking.

Test numbers are just that. YMMV.

I love my brakes.

If you want brakes that will stop on a dime and leave 9 cents change... Carbotech XP12s.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I just replaced my front pads (no rears for Bosch yet?) with Hawk HPS on Saturday. I kept the stock rotors as I only had 7k miles on em. I'm also running summer Hankook V12's. After bedding them in and then reapplying some grease to quiet the squeals, I can say there is "some" improvement. I don't have any hard numbers and am only going by feel. They are still mushy to me.

My question is, is there anything we can do short of replacing the entire system to get that same sharp brake response in BMW's and Audi's? Will replacing the rear pads and changing to SS lines make any more difference or am I expecting too much?

SS lines will help, the pads won't change the mushy feeling. If you want rear pads call or e-mail carbotech and ask for part number: CT1456-XP8

ghostwind

Passed Driver's Ed
The brakes on the GTI are pretty bad for a 'sports car.'

My old 97 honda had much better brakes. I owned for a shot time an 05 Audi a4 and the first day I drove it I almost rear ended someone because the brakes are so bad compared to my Honda Prelude. The GTI is better, but not by much. As mentioned above, tires can make a huge difference. The all season tires that come on the Denver 17"s are terrible, and probably add many feet to the braking distance compared to some good summer performance tires.

I have considered upgrading to some Hawk brake pads, because going with larger rotors and a full brake job is very expensive.

This is one of the GTIs flaws, however there is only so much you can expect on a car that stickers in the 23K range, and for that, the car is still a great deal. Just my 2 cents.

Also, just to throw out some worthless information, I got to drive a new 911 turbo the other day with the $10,000 carbon ceramic brakes, and I can honestly say that they blew my mind. You just think about putting your foot on the brake and it feels like hit a brick wall. Those brakes are amazing...

The Porsche PCCB brakes are good because of the larger calipers, not the ceramic rotors. On my 911 I use the stock Porsche steel rotors with the PCCB calipers. Ceramic will burn wafer-thin real quick and a waste of money. Good only for competition racing where weight and temps are critical, and replacing expensive rotors is not a concern...The fact that Porsche is able to sell them to people as a $$$$$ option is amazing to me....Steel rotors win any day for street and track use.