GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear VW Emblem Removal

ilimit

Ready to race!
Reviving an old thread! Does anybody know if the rear emblem removal can be done to a hatch with reverse camera capabilities? Thanks!

manevmk

Passed Driver's Ed
@OP: Just follow some of these steps if you haven't finished it already! I would recommend this versus masking off your rear. I would hate to get even small paint particles anywhere on my car.

where did u get the filler from?

slate83

Passed Driver's Ed
I replaced 3 items recently, one of which was the rear VW emblem. I found a credit card difficult to use but a razor blade gets in there nicely. After getting it popped up a little bit, I made the mistake of switching to a screwdriver, which scratched some of the car's paint around the edge of the circle. I got the original chrome emblem off and noticed that one snap looked broken although it didn't seem like anything broke when I was removing it.

Here's the back of the original and you can see one tab is broken with a greyish colored inside:

originalBroken.jpeg

Here's the back of the car. Harder to see in this picture but it didn't look like the other half of the tab was in there and also did not look like the hole was even deep enough for the size tab on my newly supplied emblem. The hole for the tab looks like it is intact and not filled with a broken piece (the inside of the hole is black and not grey like the inside of the broken snap:

backOfCar.jpeg

Here are the old and new emblems side by side:

sideBySide.jpeg

So, I decided to go ahead and clip the same snap down to size and it seemed to re-attach just fine (maybe the chrome one had been snipped in the same way at some point.. I bought the car used):

newLogoSnipped.jpeg

With that out of the way, I moved onto inserting white vinyl inserts into the spaces of that logo (PITA), then did the GTI letters in black (the easiest part of this whole project), and finally on to removing the grill to replace that logo (also a PITA).

Last edited:

kec789

Ready to race!
For what it's worth, I used the following method and got mine off with no broken tabe in 5 minutes.

I too started off with a razor blade to get it pried up a little but I then stuck a butter knife straight "through" it, so the knife was between the chrome and the black part underneath. This way I could guide it where the tabs are and then twist my wrist and pop it out at each tabbed area. Quite simple and all was intact when I got mine out.

Now I am off to spray on some Plastidip!