GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommended Boston Area VW Repair Shops

virtualbong

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows of a trustworthy VW repair shop in the Metrowest area?

I have been dealing with the dreaded P0299 turbo underboost issue for some time now. It coincidentally started happening a few months after I installed my CAI but I checked the connections and everything seems fine. My GTI has 158,000 miles on it and I believe it's the original turbo so I am not really surprised that it is starting to fail. I can drive the car but the MPG is crap right now because of it. I get like 23 average now.

Can anyone recommend a good VW shop? I guess I would also be open to private repair shops but the key is trust. I am a paranoid person and normally try to work on things myself but I just don't have time with two young kids. Any help here would be appreciated.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
2 great shops that I can recommend.

ESP - Enhanced Street Performance in Sterling
BrenTuning in Upton

Good luck!

virtualbong

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks @tdream1

Can you tell me what you utilized them for?

Any idea how much it would cost to diagnose the problem and then replace a turbo? Trying to determine if I even want to move forward with fixing it or to just live with it. I am guessing $2-3,000 for a new turbo and then the cost of labor would be around $1,000?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Thanks @tdream1

Can you tell me what you utilized them for?

Any idea how much it would cost to diagnose the problem and then replace a turbo? Trying to determine if I even want to move forward with fixing it or to just live with it. I am guessing $2-3,000 for a new turbo and then the cost of labor would be around $1,000?

I've been going to ESP since 2004. They are straight shooters and do everything from oil changes to full engine builds.

BrenTuning installed my APR Stage 3 GTX because they are an authorized APR dealer.

You can find a used stock IHI for very little money, like $100-$300. If you're even considering paying upwards of $4000, you may as well slap a K04 on it.

You should give ESP a call and see what they have to say first. It may be something very simple and inexpensive to fix. Please PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

virtualbong

Passed Driver's Ed
I definitely don't want to spend more than a couple thousand so if they came back stating something over $2,000, I probably would not move forward right now.

Thanks again for the recommendation. I will give them a call.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I definitely don't want to spend more than a couple thousand so if they came back stating something over $2,000, I probably would not move forward right now.

Thanks again for the recommendation. I will give them a call.

You're welcome. Please let me know how you make out.