GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement Rotors

Poltergeist

Ready to race!
Late to the party, sorry. In regards to slotted or drilled rotors: The function of a rotor is basically to act as a heat sink. When you remove material from a rotor (i.e. slots or holes) you limit the ability of a rotor to dissipate heat. Some do tout the benefits of slotted rotors cleaning the pads or assisting when a pad out-gasses. However, in my opinion, less is not more when it comes to braking. That being said....they look awesome :)

hey,

but if its slotted, wouldnt there be more surface area? curve vs flat...
not trying to say ur wrong, just curious.

also do slotted rotors give more braking power?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Get Ate Premium discs or stock replacements.

Slotted rotors have two downsides only:

- some slight humming when braking at higher speeds
- cost

At the same time these are the advantages:

- quicker bite when wet
- slightly more overall bite
- degassing the pad when hot
- cleaning the pad when braking long and hard

# 1 is advantagous for a DD and of course the rest is important
if you track.

I'd recommend stock replacements for DDing to avoid noises.
Slotted rotors for the track.

Crossdrilled ?? Posers only.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
ive never had any noise issues with slotted rotors.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
OP, unless you track the shit out of your car, you'll be FINE with OEM rotors.

With almost 40k on my OEM setup, and drive the shit out of my car on the street, ZERO COMPLAINTS.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ true.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
ive never had any noise issues with slotted rotors.

That's strange, mate. :cry:

Had and have humming with ALL kinds of slotted rotors (AP, Ate, Brembo, Tarox)
and all my friends with them notice the same.

;)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
what pads you running? and are they bedded in properly?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Ferodo DS Performance with Tarox F2000, EBC Green (never again > crap) and Textar with Brembo
Max and AP Xtreme, OEM VW, Ate Ceramics and Textar with Ate Premium (PowerDisc in Europe).

And of course I bedded them all in properly.

sprytdi

Ready to race!
Late to the party, sorry. In regards to slotted or drilled rotors: The function of a rotor is basically to act as a heat sink. When you remove material from a rotor (i.e. slots or holes) you limit the ability of a rotor to dissipate heat. Some do tout the benefits of slotted rotors cleaning the pads or assisting when a pad out-gasses. However, in my opinion, less is not more when it comes to braking. That being said....they look awesome :)

I think you should do a little homework!
Slotted and/or drilled rotors dont need to soak up the same ammount of heat cuz they allow the super hot gasses that occour when braking to leave the pad and rotor surface, while at the same time allowing cool air directly to the heat zone, therefor they dont really need the material that was removed to create the groove or drill the hole to absorb heat, rotors are a heat sink only because of the job they do, by design they are supposed to stay cool enough to allow the pad not to glaze under extreme braking, and get warm fast enough for the pad to grab, not just saok up heat when braking? Right?
Drilled/slotted rotors do allow for more powerful braking power from the same calipers, reason being, the pad hits the rotor and stays in contact with the rotor during the entire braking duration, gasses, debris, heat and water all get directed away from the rotor leaving a clean pad and cool rotor for any braking need.
so your explanation does not make sense to me.
could you explain your theory further? Seeing as though you are a site sponser and a tire rack rep, i would imagine you should have some solid information.

P

plac

I think you should do a little homework!
Slotted and/or drilled rotors dont need to soak up the same ammount of heat cuz they allow the super hot gasses that occour when braking to leave the pad and rotor surface, while at the same time allowing cool air directly to the heat zone, therefor they dont really need the material that was removed to create the groove or drill the hole to absorb heat, rotors are a heat sink only because of the job they do, by design they are supposed to stay cool enough to allow the pad not to glaze under extreme braking, and get warm fast enough for the pad to grab, not just saok up heat when braking? Right?
Drilled/slotted rotors do allow for more powerful braking power from the same calipers, reason being, the pad hits the rotor and stays in contact with the rotor during the entire braking duration, gasses, debris, heat and water all get directed away from the rotor leaving a clean pad and cool rotor for any braking need.
so your explanation does not make sense to me.
could you explain your theory further? Seeing as though you are a site sponser and a tire rack rep, i would imagine you should have some solid information.

bump for the kid trying to school the tire rack employee. lol.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
bump for the kid trying to school the tire rack employee. lol.

Honest question here, if drilling does nothing why does every high performance car made in the last 20 years come with them? Weather it's on Iron or Carbon brakes they all have them.

P

plac

Honest question here, if drilling does nothing why does every high performance car made in the last 20 years come with them? Weather it's on Iron or Carbon brakes they all have them.

why you asking me? my point was Sonny knows what he's talking about..