GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement Time for Winter Tires for Fall of 2017?

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Not sure about others here, but my 2012 GTI's set of winters on steelies are getting a little long in the tooth and would be entering their seventh(!) winter late November unless I replace them. 205/55R16 Gislaved Nord*Frost 5 (made "2911") on genuine VW steelies from VW Richmond Hill. Cleaned them up and measured them the other day, they still have one more winter in them per me and several tire shops I dragged one with me to.

But, the deals and rebates are on and you can't skimp on safety and performance (and also pure fun in the snow), so I am shopping seriously for a new set for the coming winter season. All over RedFlag Deals and YouTube and the web doing research.

May get a set of Blizzak WS80 for $649 cash all in (less later $70 MIR) from Allen at Simply Tire, but also considering the Nokian R2 and the Nokian Nordman 7 (studless version) which is the old Hak 7 re-badged.

Here is a possibly helpful chart from I magazine I get, just got it yesterday in the mail. Interested in other folks' MKVI winter tire choices.

Cheers,

John

Last edited:

nik

Go Kart Champion
I went with continental and I'm quite content. I thought I could do one more season on mine. Had the same gislaveds as you. But one bad storm I struggled getting up a hill and bye bye they went. Also have a 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGuillicuddy

Passed Driver's Ed
Can't go wrong with X-Ice 3's or the Nokians. Only problem with Nokian is availability; if you need to replace one mid- or late- season it can be difficult to find a replacement quickly. Michelin's on the other hand are everywhere.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Can't go wrong with X-Ice 3's or the Nokians. Only problem with Nokian is availability; if you need to replace one mid- or late- season it can be difficult to find a replacement quickly. Michelin's on the other hand are everywhere.

That, and cost, is the reason ten days ago that I went with Costco and the 225/65R17 Blizzak DM-V2 over the more desirable Nokian Hak R2 SUV for my '16.5 CX-5 fwd.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
sooo, what'd ya get for the gti?

see i think it's gonna be a wet winter...not sure we'll see much snow but that being said still need a good set to deal with the 401...

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
sooo, what'd ya get for the gti?

see i think it's gonna be a wet winter...not sure we'll see much snow but that being said still need a good set to deal with the 401...

No decision yet, probably the WS80 from Simply Tire. Still pricing the R2 and Nordman 7 studless.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Yeah... been to simply. Allen is a good guy.. since then I've discovered a plethora of tire dealers off the beaten path in Woodbridge. As good a time as any to start pricing stuff out. Like you I'm on steelies with another year left on Cdn tire nordics though.. I want better wet weather snow tires. I. Interested in the General's

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Carry-away mounted, balanced, bagged onto your wheels, the Generals in 205/55R16 your RedFlagDeals Simply Tire cold hard "cash all in" price should be $582 with you later doing a MIR for a further $35. Deposit by Oct 14. This includes his $40 off for carry-away and 2% cash discount.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Drive like a Finn!

Looks like its going to be a set of four 205/55R16 Nokian Hak R2 tires after all! :thumbup:

Met with rep and talked agreeable numbers around lunchtime. Waiting for Oct 2nd promo to start. The Kal Tire Vaughan location has more than two 205/55R16 sets in stock and will bring in more as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C72NcBOjvH0

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Price?

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!

Their asking catalogue price will probably be 1.13 x {[4 x ($191.85 + $23 + $3.3)] - $50}

Several days ago, I got the base tire down to $180 before the $50 was known to me.

Then, armed with competitors' cut-throat pricing on one's other options, you may do well. I have to leave it at that.

Also stress the fact you are coming in with loose wheels and leaving with same so that there is no car for them to have to dick around with, if that is the case.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
+1 I like the 205/55R16 Gislaved Nord*Frost 5 as well; Gislaved recently sold the mold to Hankook, and the newest Hankook Winter Tire has the exact thread pattern and great price too. I order a set from Steelcase tire in Markham, will install in November.

I have the Nokian R2s on my wifes '15 Accord, they are good but IMO I don't think they are much better than the Gislaved Nord*Frost 5s.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
+1 I like the 205/55R16 Gislaved Nord*Frost 5 as well; Gislaved recently sold the mold to Hankook, and the newest Hankook Winter Tire has the exact thread pattern and great price too. I order a set from Steelcase tire in Markham, will install in November.

I have the Nokian R2s on my wifes '15 Accord, they are good but IMO I don't think they are much better than the Gislaved Nord*Frost 5s.

Which Hankook is it? The i*Pike RS (W419) looks a bit different to me and I can't see anything else on their site that is the same. Thanks.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Interested in the General's

Which one, the new Altimax Arctic 12 announced in Feb 2017 or the older Altimax Arctic (which I think is a re-badged Nord*Frost 3)?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Which one, the new Altimax Arctic 12 announced in Feb 2017 or the older Altimax Arctic (which I think is a re-badged Nord*Frost 3)?

Whichever will be cost effective. :D