GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resealing VW 2.5L Vacuum Pump

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
While I was replacing the manual transmission and clutch I found that the Vacuum Pump was leaking.

In my case, I found that both rubber seals (Cover Seal and O-Ring) were leaking but the metal gasket between the valve cover and the vacuum pump was ok and no sign of a leak. Had I known that I woulda just replaced the rubber seals pretty simple once you know how from the videos but you won't know positively until you remove the parts.

Cheers

PS. I went with this reseal kit coz it had great reviews and cost a fraction of the price of a new vacuum pump.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
UPDATE: After the first couple of days I did see trace of leakage but after cleaning the traces with a towel soaked with brake cleaner the leaks has disappeared and everything is still dry as a bone. To be honest, I did the vacuum pump reseal while replacing the transmission and clutch and i had bang the transmission into the newly installed vacuum pump while struggling to lift/rotate the 130 lbs 02Q into place so it coulda shifted the cover or the seals may require a few heat cycles to seat. As well No RTV was used as a secondary seal.

RKX carries a complete Reseal Kit for the VW 2.5 Engine which address pretty much all the known leakage points of the VW 2.5. I haven't installed the entire kit but IMO it should offer pretty good value.

Last edited: