GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rev-hang will be the death of me

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
I hear that. I'm undergoing option #4 as we speak, it'll be interesting to see how the car's behavior changes.

Just for sake of the thread, let's note that the revs hang to burn any excess fuel before it reaches the catalytic converter, with the intention of extending the life of the emissions system.

Personally, I don't really experience rev hang outside of 1st to 2nd.. but it's all driving style and I do drive like a grandma most of the time.. therefore I'm not burning much fuel when I lift off and the revs have no reason to hang.

You're right about what the synchros do, you're saying the same thing I am in that regard. The only issue is that the clutch is taking the heat when the engine speed still doesn't match the vehicle speed while the revs hang. I would say additionally that dragging the engine speed down abruptly (without the ignition cuts made by the DSG) could also be hazardous in the long term.. but that's speculation. So you're correct, you do let them do their job, but that's not what needs attention.. moving the shifter is easy, letting the clutch out to reapply power seems to be where folks go wrong.

Let's reassess the discussion with a brief edit of your first post..

Just "letting them do their job" isn't really tackling the problem, when the actual problem is achieving a successful gear change, but having a premature clutch release. The synchros can do their job perfectly every time, but you're still putting excess wear and tear on the vehicle (again mostly clutch) if the car is lurching forward when the revs are still too high. How much wear and tear? No idea, I just hate jerking around. Ya dig?

:attention_whore: wtfhugesammichavatar!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Just "letting them do their job" isn't really tackling the problem, when the actual problem is achieving a successful gear change, but having a premature clutch release. The synchros can do their job perfectly every time, but you're still putting excess wear and tear on the vehicle (again mostly clutch) if the car is lurching forward when the revs are still too high. How much wear and tear? No idea, I just hate jerking around. Ya dig?

Yeah, premature clutch release vs rev hang - different terms for the same thing. I realize that I will probably kill my clutch sooner than some people but that's fine with me. It just means I'll have reason to put in a better one and an LSD sooner :burnrubber:

/thread. Seriousy

Sorry some of us regularly complete shifts in under 2 seconds each. If you're slow you won't find this to be an issue, which I have to assume is where the misunderstanding lies. Using VCDS logs my average shift time is around 0.4-0.5 seconds and 0.25-0.3 when I'm really trying to shift quickly. How long do you take to complete shifts?

JerrBear

Ready to race!
hey OP what rpm are you at when you're shifting from 1st to 2nd? I used to shift early like you but now I hit about 2500 rpm before shifting into 2nd. 2700 if i'm feeling frisky

I tried getting out of 1st to 2nd ASAP today and it worked pretty well, I used to shift at 2500-3200 but I had to wait for it to drop because of that. When I shift at 2000 or less there's a lot less jerk, I'm just not used to it but I probably will start shifting at 2000 from now on

What I learned today:
- get out of first by or before 2000 for less jerk
- get back onto the throttle as fast as possible to maintain acceleration (used to experience a dead period for about 0.5 seconds where the car didn't feel like there was power)

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
I tried getting out of 1st to 2nd ASAP today and it worked pretty well, I used to shift at 2500-3200 but I had to wait for it to drop because of that. When I shift at 2000 or less there's a lot less jerk, I'm just not used to it but I probably will start shifting at 2000 from now on

What I learned today:
- get out of first by or before 2000 for less jerk
- get back onto the throttle as fast as possible to maintain acceleration (used to experience a dead period for about 0.5 seconds where the car didn't feel like there was power)

i try to get out of first as soon as i can. doing so right away is basically wasting first though, because youll be in 2nd and hardly moving. often times i find my self shifting out around 2.5k. imo that a good sweet spot for first. any sooner and your dipping your rpms a bit low for second. any later and you look like a stoplight racecar every time you shift out of first. i dont really wait for my revs to drop, just compensate with the clutch. my shifting speed is normal, and use the clutch for the split second to get in gear and match the rpms.

Gigi1

Passed Driver's Ed
I use a jeep trick to solve trafic smoothness. 1st for just long enough to get rolling, not even a half pull on the gear. Go straight to 2nd and pull to 4-4500. Skip 3rd and go straight to 4th, it takes a moment longer to get into gear but that lets the revs fall just right. Skip 5th and jump straight to 6th for cruising speed. Our speed limits are about 50 and this keeps me in front of most traffic, doesnt use much fuel and makes for a very smooth ride for my passengers. Obviously hills, traffic conditions, load, turns etc might modify this stuff but it works pretty good in hi torque close(ish) ratio manual shifted vehicles. My jeep buddies, rally buddies and truck driver buddies all do this to smooth thing out and reduce the number of shifts in light use situations. The only trick is to slow down the shifts since you are working the pattern out of order and need to let things slide in a little easier.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
this rev hang thing should really not be that big of an issue for people.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Just keep on practising or buy a DSG.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Practice what, putting your hand on the flywheel when you let off the throttle to bring the revs down more quickly? You people are starting to sound like fucking morons.

Please do us horrible drivers a favor: Describe the procedure for executing a smooth shift in a relatively slow 0.5 seconds without slipping the clutch at all.

IT CANNOT BE DONE, the car is designed for SLOW shifting. That is what people are complaining about...

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Do you guys all rev match perfectly when downshifting? If not you're slipping the clutch more so that when you shift up with a rev hang....

So I wouldn't worry about it just slip the clutch slightly, it isn't the end of the world.

McQueen77

Banned
Practice what, putting your hand on the flywheel when you let off the throttle to bring the revs down more quickly? You people are starting to sound like fucking morons.

Please do us horrible drivers a favor: Describe the procedure for executing a smooth shift in a relatively slow 0.5 seconds without slipping the clutch at all.

IT CANNOT BE DONE, the car is designed for SLOW shifting. That is what people are complaining about...

do you pat yourself on the back when you pull off your .5 second shifts? this is the dumbest thread ever.