GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

REVO Stage I

GTI-2011NC

Thank you for the clarification! That all makes sense. So, if I am running a Stage I, 93 octane program, and I go elsewhere where my only option is 91, will I notice a huge loss in power and efficency?

Now, consider that my GTI is not a track car and is a bit of an overweight, garage-queen the way I treat her and I just want some more pep out of her. You think all will be well even with a lower octane rating?

GTI-2011NC

You were misinformed end of story. This is an issue with your dealer and not Revo. I have explained how it works and it is no different then other tuners, it does not belong in this thread.
Chris,

You are the man at REVO and good friend of John @ GSM, correct? I hope you weathered the hurricane well and your property held up okay. Cheers!

Also, as the in-house REVO expert, tell me a little about what to expect with my stage I tune. SELL ME on REVO!!!

Last edited:

DDGTI

Ready to race!
I've had great results with my Revo tune; I highly recommend them.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for the clarification! That all makes sense. So, if I am running a Stage I, 93 octane program, and I go elsewhere where my only option is 91, will I notice a huge loss in power and efficency?

Now, consider that my GTI is not a track car and is a bit of an overweight, garage-queen the way I treat her and I just want some more pep out of her. You think all will be well even with a lower octane rating?

If you are going to a place that only has 91 you need to switch the car to 91 mode or stock mode. It is not recommended to run a tune for a higher octane fuel than what you have.

Chris,

You are the man at REVO and good friend of John @ GSM, correct? I hope you weathered the hurricane well and your property held up okay. Cheers!

Also, as the in-house REVO expert, tell me a little about what to expect with my stage I tune. SELL ME on REVO!!!

Yes i know John well, luckily where I am we didn't even have clouds during the storm. The bottom of my driveway is in a flood plain though so if we ever do a bad storm I won't be leaving. Luckily my house is about 50ft higher than that and would have to be really bad to reach my house :)

As for selling you on Revo, well I'm not in sales for a reason...

However. We have been tuning this engine longer than anyone else and have been working with this engine management longer as well. We make more power if you look at the total area under the curve compared to any other tuner although it looks like the new GIAC stuff is pretty close. Our SPS is 199 and offers you 91, 93, and 100 octane as well as stock which is about the cost just to switch to stock from most of our competitors. Also we are 499 for stage 1 and 549 for stage 2 so the flashes are also cheaper than most.

Really though everyone is going to be safe, most have switching, most can unlock your ecu now, everyone is going to make great power (we just make more). You will most likely be happy with whatever you get. If you are local to GSM though you have a great shop that has been selling our software for years and will have a great experience with them. I do not know however if they are equipped to unlock the 2010+ ecus in house just yet.

GTI-2011NC

If you are going to a place that only has 91 you need to switch the car to 91 mode or stock mode. It is not recommended to run a tune for a higher octane fuel than what you have.

Yes i know John well, luckily where I am we didn't even have clouds during the storm. The bottom of my driveway is in a flood plain though so if we ever do a bad storm I won't be leaving. Luckily my house is about 50ft higher than that and would have to be really bad to reach my house :)

As for selling you on Revo, well I'm not in sales for a reason...

However. We have been tuning this engine longer than anyone else and have been working with this engine management longer as well. We make more power if you look at the total area under the curve compared to any other tuner although it looks like the new GIAC stuff is pretty close. Our SPS is 199 and offers you 91, 93, and 100 octane as well as stock which is about the cost just to switch to stock from most of our competitors. Also we are 499 for stage 1 and 549 for stage 2 so the flashes are also cheaper than most.

Really though everyone is going to be safe, most have switching, most can unlock your ecu now, everyone is going to make great power (we just make more). You will most likely be happy with whatever you get. If you are local to GSM though you have a great shop that has been selling our software for years and will have a great experience with them. I do not know however if they are equipped to unlock the 2010+ ecus in house just yet.
John has been waiting on the emailed program from revo since thursday and hasn't led me to believe that we will have any issues once we get it. I really hope i get this thing done this week; ive been waiting longer for this than i care to mention.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
John has been waiting on the emailed program from revo since thursday and hasn't led me to believe that we will have any issues once we get it. I really hope i get this thing done this week; ive been waiting longer for this than i care to mention.

I looked at my list real quick and it does not appear they have an SPX yet. They were probably told they would need it when they called about a file, I didn't speak to them. I would check in with John and see what is up and I'll let our east coast sales manager know to check in as well.

GTI-2011NC

I looked at my list real quick and it does not appear they have an SPX yet. They were probably told they would need it when they called about a file, I didn't speak to them. I would check in with John and see what is up and I'll let our east coast sales manager know to check in as well.
Thanks Chris, i appreciate you checking it out for me. I think john is still trying recover from the storm, as we haven't communicated well since. What is an SPX?

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
So is it weird that my 2011 GTi was flashed directly via the OBDII port? I'm hearing stuff about ECU's being taken out etc.....that was not the case with my '11 GTi. Straight flash via the OBDII port. 6 minutes, done and dusted.

Chris....ermm....?

p.s Yes, I'm on Revo stage 1. I'm obviously missing the boat completely here, but this "taking out the ECU" story is really weird since that was not the case with my ECU at all.

Last edited:

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I believe it only applies to N.A. market.

Interesting. I honestly didn't know that you guys had different ECUs. I thought GTi ECUs were pretty much standard across the regions.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Not all regions have locked ecus.

2010 it was mostly a US/Canada issue, even saying North America wouldn't be right since almost no application in Mexico were locked. Some other regions were locked but limited applications.

2011 more started to show up locked around the world but some are still not locked, they also changed how it was locked slightly.

Some 2011 applications and 2012 applications are a completely different locking and require new hardware to unlock them.

Other 2011+ applications have old engine management systems that are now also locked and require yet again completely different tools and procedures.

There are ecu IDs that are locked in Europe but that exact same ID is not locked anywhere in South America. If it is locked and how it is locked is completely regional.

GTI-2011NC

I spoke w/ GSM (REVO dealer) about pulling the ECS's on 2010's+ and apparently there is a new cable for REVO that allows you perform the entire flash without physically touching the ECU. This is what they are going to try using on my 2011, but sadly, it will not be happening this week...

Last edited:

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Sorry if there is any confusion but there is no such new cable.

What GSM is waiting on is the SPX unit which does require the ecu to be removed and opened.

I do not have a lead time on the next batch of SPX units but I can say it will be longer than a few weeks just knowing how long assembly, testing, and shipping from the UK takes.

If you are interested in a flash before GSM gets their hardware you can have them send us the ecu to unlock and they will simply flash it or we do have several other dealers in your area (although it would be a few hours drive) that are equipped. I didn't want to bring that up initially as not to take away a sale from GSM.