GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Running change? (US 2013 MKVIs with dash cubby and knee airbag)

PVKAN

It appears VW made a running change and started equipping US-spec MKVIs with the driver’s side knee airbag and dash cubby that have always been on Euro-spec cars.

I did an informal survey of dealer inventory on cars.com and was able to somewhat narrow down the VIN range where the change occurred:

WVWXXXXXXX069973 no
WVWXXXXXXX076074 no
---- (change took place somewhere in here) ----
WVWXXXXXXX086385 yes
WVWXXXXXXX087809 yes

I found examples of every configuration...2.5, TDI, GTI, 2- and 4-door. Here’s an example of a 2dr Golf 2.5 (look at photos 8 and 9):
http://www.everycarlisted.com/co/thornton/volkswagen/golf/vin-WVWBB7AJ2DW119836

Hmm, I’ve already retrofitted the dash cubby…I wonder how hard it would be to – NO! I AM NOT GOING THERE!

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
We can assume the dash cubby parts bin was full so as they ended Euro production and so rather than writing off the loss, started to include them on US spec Golfs.

VW trim tends to be all over the place at the beginning and end of their model years. Hence we get the "Drivers and Wolfsburg" editions which are parts bin clearing house models.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
These dash cubby and knee airbag aren't listed in ETKA only the knee bag which shows as part of the glove box cover - knee airbag unit - only order for immediate installation - 5K2 880 841 D - £285.

The same item and part number is listed on USA models. So is this dash cubby item a VW part?

RGGTI41510

Ready to race!
I got the cubby on my 13 too. Didn't know about the drivers knee airbag though, I'll have to check my window sticker

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
A buddy of mine has the cubby on his as well on his '13 GTI. He thought it was an add-on by a potential buyer who decided not to buy the car.

palma

Ready to race!
I have the cubby on my 13 golf too. Not sure about the knee air bag though.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

GTITX1

Ready to race!
Knee airbag would be nice. I often notice that my right knee is going to get destroyed in an accident.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Knee airbag would be nice. I often notice that my right knee is going to get destroyed in an accident.

I actually have a scar on my right knee from where it slid into the dash of my 1987 GTI in a high-speed accident. But that was 22 years ago and we didn't have airbags back then.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
most chics i know have their seat so far forward that their knees are probably touching the dashboard. that cant be too safe.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
must trade in car now

CSteelGrrl

Ready to race!
most chics i know have their seat so far forward that their knees are probably touching the dashboard. that cant be too safe.

most dudes I know get cars that are way too fast for their abilities. then they mod them. that cant be too safe ;)
Be safe out there!