GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SB stage 2 daily. Looking for new clutch

privman

Ready to race!
But good enough for every day use.

privman

Ready to race!
Yeah I knew about the break in point and stuff. That's why I want to do it now. So I can get it out of the way before ko4.

Sebastian did you install yours yourself?

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
Yeah I did. It helps to have someone help. I had a buddy of mine help, the tray is quite heavy for such a little car.
2 suggestions if u choose to do that. One is to get an engine bar, and second is to take the throttle body pipe off so you don't crack it like I did lol. And plan on about 7 hours or so, best to start Saturday morning just in case you need extra time

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
Here's the diy I followed. Just gather your tools before hand. I was pressed for time so I used the tool SB sent, and I fabbed it up a bit to make it work properly, but I definitely do not recommend doing that. (Made the install take longer and there is no guarantee that it works as well as oem)
If you are mechanically inclined don't shy away from the project, this was my very first clutch job

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73022

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I even went so far as to turn off my tune for the first 300 miles; tune on and <5lbs of boost until 800 miles.

I didnt go WOT until my trip meter said 1000.

I treated mine similarly, and it hasn't let me down yet.

Yeah I knew about the break in point and stuff. That's why I want to do it now. So I can get it out of the way before ko4.

Sebastian did you install yours yourself?

I would definitely follow Sebastian's advice on this if you can. I paid to have it installed, cost me $2200 for install and parts, so just shy of a grand to have it installed. I didn't go to a cheapo installer though either, went with Achtuning, which is an APR authorized dealer in the area that is beyond amazing. Definitely save yourself the $1000 if you can. (not that I regret their job or work, but because I'd have rather saved myself the money for something better, like a FMIC or half of my K04).

privman

Ready to race!
Here's the diy I followed. Just gather your tools before hand. I was pressed for time so I used the tool SB sent, and I fabbed it up a bit to make it work properly, but I definitely do not recommend doing that. (Made the install take longer and there is no guarantee that it works as well as oem)
If you are mechanically inclined don't shy away from the project, this was my very first clutch job

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73022

Fabbed what up? Does the tool they send not work properly?

privman

Ready to race!
so i've read the write up.... sounds like a bitch. lol i dont know if im up to all that. Getting it out seems easy but putting the clutch together inside and stuff seems pretty tricky. anyone want to just take a road trip one weekend and help? lol

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
so i've read the write up.... sounds like a bitch. lol i dont know if im up to all that. Getting it out seems easy but putting the clutch together inside and stuff seems pretty tricky. anyone want to just take a road trip one weekend and help? lol

It LOOKS intimidating... but it really isn't once you get in there... U literally take the tranny out, unbolt flywheel, bold new one in, thencenter clutch plate, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. then reassemble. Honestly the hardest part is with the axle flange. but as long as u have a strap to help push it back in you're golden.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
It LOOKS intimidating... but it really isn't once you get in there... U literally take the tranny out, unbolt flywheel, bold new one in, thencenter clutch plate, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. then reassemble. Honestly the hardest part is with the axle flange. but as long as u have a strap to help push it back in you're golden.

You can use a prybar off the one corner of the block and it goes right it.

OP, the hardest part is getting the trans back in. If you have a lift and 2 people it's not bad, but doing it on the ground sucks. There isn't a whole lot of room for 2 people to be rolling around under the car trying to get it in straight. Getting the trans out and the clutch swapped is cake.

privman

Ready to race!
placed my order Saturday for sb stage 2 daily. later down the road after ko4 if i wanna go bigger i'll switch out the clutch as well but for right now this is what best suits me i believe. thanks for everyones advice and info! i appreciate it!