GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Share Your Downpipe Install Wisdom

goose1

Ready to race!
Installed a downpipe using a 16mm flex head gear wrench, did everything from under the car and while that one nut was a pain as i could only get a click or two of movement it was doable.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i go against most people here in my method. its 3X faster to get it from top than to turn a racheting wrench 1 click at a time. i break it loose in 3 seconds, then remove it in 30 more seconds with my rachet.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Whatever is faster for you is best. I would still argue the bottom method is best since you don't need to remove the intake or even move in two places to get the bolts.

goose1

Ready to race!
i go against most people here in my method. its 3X faster to get it from top than to turn a racheting wrench 1 click at a time. i break it loose in 3 seconds, then remove it in 30 more seconds with my rachet.

Yeah but at the same time i dont havr a fully stocked tool chest. Totally understand why you do it the way you do. Then again power tools would make it even faster

Forarm workout ehh?
I'm still sore

sent via carrier potato

dhockey11

Passed Driver's Ed
I broke the nut with a 16mm box end, then got it free with a mini ratchet and socket. From under the car, I reached over the downpipe so the ratchet was above the flange, and was able to get at it. Pain in the ass, would suggest the top down method from 2013R, but it does work. The mini ratchet was like 9$ at harbor freight for a set of three, and i used it a ton.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Yeah but at the same time i dont havr a fully stocked tool chest. Totally understand why you do it the way you do. Then again power tools would make it even faster
My buddy has all the tools I could ever need except for a lift and I still only use one tool to remove all the nuts.

I broke the nut with a 16mm box end, then got it free with a mini ratchet and socket. From under the car, I reached over the downpipe so the ratchet was above the flange, and was able to get at it. Pain in the ass, would suggest the top down method from 2013R, but it does work. The mini ratchet was like 9$ at harbor freight for a set of three, and i used it a ton.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
This could have happened with a regular socket as well. Just a mistake... happens.

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
So! To awkwardly update this thread for random viewers who stumble upon it.... From my install experience it was easier to get the socket/extension on that very top nut from the bottom and then go to the top to attach the ratchet.... Instead of going from the side and getting the socket stuck on the nut like I did multiple times...

goose1

Ready to race!
Don't be like me and ruin your O2 sensors. The pre cat sensor is flatlined on the voltage test

sent via carrier potato