GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift Chart for DSG from the Android Torque App

kabz

Ready to race!
This chart shows the ratio of speed in kph divided by rpm, plotted against rpm.

There's 6 ratios (gears), which smear out horizontally at all the different rpms.

The speckles are where the ratio changes from one gear to another.

Captured with the Android Torque app and a BAFX OBD-II dongle.

kabz

Ready to race!
Here's what it looks like whilst logging...

I guess I should do a pic of what the 'installation' looks like:

Does that, and logs data too. Recommended.

Skirball

Ready to race!
If I kinda cross my eyes and stare into the graph I can see a 3D picture of Abe Lincoln driving a GTI.

McQueen77

Banned
looks distracting

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I totally don't know what it's showing, or what analysis can be derived from it. Normally charts are used to make information easier to read and understand. I'm not sure this is doing that. Maybe it's just me though.

titan253

Ready to race!
If I kinda cross my eyes and stare into the graph I can see a 3D picture of Abe Lincoln driving a GTI.

and here i thought it was thomas jefferson :iono: go figure

Joking aside, i think he's trying to convey instantaneous speed at a given RPM and gear, i.e. at 1500 rpm in 4th gear he was going 30 mph. However this chart is not showing that. i'm not actually sure what the significance of this relationship is. Speed/RPM vs RPM: (30 kph/1500 = .02 kph/rpm at 1500 RPM in 4th)? at least i think thats what is being presented.

A more useful chart would be speed vs rpm in each gear

Last edited:

kabz

Ready to race!
Some explanation...

I guess you kinda have to think about it, but if you plot the effective gear ratio, you're going to see six values for being in-gear, and outliers between gears. So just look at the vertical axis, and you get the 6 constants for the gear ratios. This is just a number that you multiply by rpm to get a speed. Could just as well be presented as a set of sloped lines.

Plotting the rpm on the horizontal giving what revs are used for each gear, shows (bottom-left area) where the car transitions from not moving to moving, so you could plot launch-control effectiveness. There's a few lines towards the right near the bottom of the chart where the clutch was slipping a bit more than it probably should, which is a piss-poor getaway.

Also, taken as logged data, especially on a manual, you could pull out how long on average you take to shift, so if you wanted to improve on auto-x or racing, you'd look at shift time, shift revs etc.

I'm planning a Torque add-in, and this is just a sketch of the kind of info. Clearly still needs some work, as always...

As an example, look at the third line up, third gear. Look at the right end. That's high rpms. Now follow the line left until you drop down, that's the DSG shifting down to second at the lower rev limit for third...

Last edited:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Interesting data. I also found it confusing at first, after the explanataion I was still confused, then I focused on the actual data and points and understand much better. I was also distracted by USA Olympic basketball.

I agree it could help in seeing effectiveness of launch control, but think it's alot easier to interpret and use the data if it were a MT as opposed to the DSG.

Still pretty sweet that you are using the torque app and applying it further!

kabz

Ready to race!
Thanks, there's actually something I hadn't spotted, which is that the dots between gears are slanted NW<>SE as the DSG 'blips' the throttle for downshifts, or cuts the fuel/timing for upshifts.

Plus, there's nothing right of about 3500 rpm ... pretty slow driver in the mornings.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I want to get this but I will have way to much stuff on my windshield.

Garage Parking Sticker
School Parking Sticker
Radar Detector

Already overwhelming. I've been wanting to find someway to mount my phone into the little tray in the center console.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I guess I should do a pic of what the 'installation' looks like:

Does that, and logs data too. Recommended.

Tell me more please :D :w00t:

gfox33

Go Kart Champion
I just got this app/dongle set up today. Its pretty cool. I need to look around it some more, like you obviously have.

kabz

Ready to race!
I want to get this but I will have way to much stuff on my windshield.

Garage Parking Sticker
School Parking Sticker
Radar Detector

Already overwhelming. I've been wanting to find someway to mount my phone into the little tray in the center console.

LOL.

+ GoPro HD + iPhone + so many sucker marks, it looks like my car was attacked by Goldman Sachs.

Not sure what it is, but I just love this car so much more than the poor old SRT-4. Of which a picture...

Last edited:

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Lol it's gonna look like I have a car from the matrix with 10 screens on my windshield.