GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I replace a timing chain tensioner at 95k miles?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't take anyone's word on it if I had the updated tensioner or not. If it fails it is going to cost you a boat load of money to have it fixed.

Talk to the owner of the shop that has German car experience. Get him to inspect it, if it is the old style replace it now not later. Depending on miles maybe all the timing chain assembly too.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

JerrBear

Ready to race!
Ok. I've had two different dealers look my vin up and tell me I have the new tensioner.

But this thread got me kind of paranoid, thinking maybe they were wrong.

I have an earlier production 2012 like you OP so this is relevant for you.

Point is I decided to check the tensioner myself today. Took all of 5 minutes. And lo and behold I do have the updated tensioner.

What I'm saying is several people in this thread have told you that if you have an early 2012 you have the old tensioner but it isn't that simple. My theory is they rolled out the new tensioner sporadically. Not all in one go.
I decided to just go through with the timing chain service, going through all the input I decided just to have the peace of mind. Luckily, I am able to start work again next week and will have to commute 70 miles round trip so might as well make sure the car is in top shape.

MetsMan

You should replace it. I have a 2012 autobahn with 90000 miles and was in the shop for stage 2 tune Dsg fluid chqnge and also to address cold start misfires. So after valve cleaning and on startup tensioner let go. Luckily damage was not horrible. So now i have new tensioner and all new chains,guides and peace of mind. The latter being most important.

JerrBear

Ready to race!
You should replace it. I have a 2012 autobahn with 90000 miles and was in the shop for stage 2 tune Dsg fluid chqnge and also to address cold start misfires. So after valve cleaning and on startup tensioner let go. Luckily damage was not horrible. So now i have new tensioner and all new chains,guides and peace of mind. The latter being most important.
I'm taking it in this week to get everything replaced. What happens when the tensioner goes out?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Just to wrap this up, I did end up having the old tensioner so going through with the service was a good call. Replaced everything involved including updated chains and tensioner, ran around $1100 and a full day. Thanks to everyone who commented!
Pretty good! Hopefully you can rest easy and enjoy the car for awhile.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Just to wrap this up, I did end up having the old tensioner so going through with the service was a good call. Replaced everything involved including updated chains and tensioner, ran around $1100 and a full day. Thanks to everyone who commented!

Congrats! Now you can enjoy the car worry free and drive it like it was meant to be driven! ...mostly (waterpump, intake manifold, balance shafts, hpfp jk lol :p )

JerrBear

Ready to race!
Congrats! Now you can enjoy the car worry free and drive it like it was meant to be driven! ...mostly (waterpump, intake manifold, balance shafts, hpfp jk lol :p )
Luckily I've gotten a lot of work taken care of under warranty (3x hpfp, intake manifold, radiator) so hopefully I can just enjoy this thing for a good while before it gives me more headaches haha. I love the car still tho! My family is telling me to trade in for Japanese but honestly driving a Camry or Accord wouldn't do it for me coming from a MK6