GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I service before or after road trip?

tzd

Ready to race!
I have a Golf 2.5L with 19,600 miles. I am planning to take a 600 mile road trip next weekend. Should I send my car in for 20k servicing before or after the road trip? Please share your thoughts on pros and cons of each option. Thanks!

toastynub

Ready to race!
If you'll only be 200 over 20k, then I would wait until after. I don't think there's a big con if you wait after (the engine probably doesn't have logic for "he went 200 over? throw random errors!"). But, if they mess something up in the service, then it could potentially be a bigger problem and affect your road trip schedule.

Wicked2

Passed Driver's Ed
I prefer to have my vehicles serviced prior to a road trip just in case something needing attention has gone unnoticed.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I prefer to have my vehicles serviced prior to a road trip just in case something needing attention has gone unnoticed.

Ditto, you might as well have the car checked over, have them do the multipoint inspection and rotate the tire before you go on a long trip...

GTI Geo

Passed Driver's Ed
I typically do it before as it does not hurt to have an extra set of eyes look over the car.

tzd

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the comments, it's been a rough couple of weeks as I took my Golf out for a last road-trip to Yosemite, and then moved from the West to the East coast. In the end, I brought my car in for 20k miles service after the road trip. I was over by about 400 miles but no problems. I've been without my Golf for the last 2 weeks :( waiting for it to be shipped over.