GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So this is interesting

isons429

Ready to race!
Saw this ad posted on my local CL: http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3655330345.html

This is a 2006 Audi S4 parts car. It is a defaulted and closed loan, so it can't be titled, but the dude is selling it for only $1500 bucks. Engine has about 120K miles on it, but damn, a 4.2 V8 could swap into a few other things I would imagine. What could be done with something like this?

Thoughts??? One of these :thumbsup: or one of these :thumbdown:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Seems pretty sketchy if you ask me. Stolen? Good deal though if it's legit, I'm sure you could figure out something fun to do with it.

isons429

Ready to race!
Anyone that takes cl seriously is crazy imo

Not taking it too seriously man... I have emailed back and forth with the seller because I was EXTREMELY skeptical. As you all know, if it seems to good to be true, then it probably is. Just curious what others thoughts might be.

isons429

Ready to race!
Defaulted loan presumably awaiting repo...wouldn't this essentially be receiving stolen property?

This is a defaulted and closed loan. They are not picking it up, the bank wants nothing to do with it. He owed a little bit more on the car, and he told them to come pick it up. They refused. He told them to piss off. He has neither the time nor the inclination to part it out himself, and since it can't be titled, it is a parts car.

isons429

Ready to race!
And you'd take his word on that?

Nope. I would not take a complete stranger at his word, especially off a craigslist ad... I am not dumb.

Just to be clear, I am very skeptical, and not thinking of buying this but was really not sure why someone would sell what appears to be a car in decent shape for such a low amount. I posted this here to get others opinions on this. It really does seem like a scam to me, but thought others may have a different opinion. I guess the consensus at this point is stay as far away as possible.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
There is no way the bank / lien holder would not pick up the car, even if it is just for scrap. They'd sell the car as-is to a dismantler or junk yard, have them pick it up, and make a few bucks off it and get it disposed of.

The guy doesn't own the vehicle. If you buy it you're going to wind up with a V8 engine that has a VIN which is reported stolen.

isons429

Ready to race!
There is no way the bank / lien holder would not pick up the car, even if it is just for scrap. They'd sell the car as-is to a dismantler or junk yard, have them pick it up, and make a few bucks off it and get it disposed of.

The guy doesn't own the vehicle. If you buy it you're going to wind up with a V8 engine that has a VIN which is reported stolen.

Well that sounds pretty horrible :yikes: and also the most likely scenario. I do appreciate the input. You learn something new everyday, amirite?

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Plus the bank would have a title, they could pick it up and sell it at auction for easily over $10k... I don't think banks just let that go... Very weird.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Because I can't see the rest of the car other than an engine bay shot at night I'm assuming it looks like this. The battery might be dead and the fuel pump might be 60' feet away but the rest of the engine is good.

isons429

Ready to race!
HAHAHAHA!!!! That is awesome. Although at this time I am leaning towards that car not being the sellers, he did send a picture of the entire car, it is not damaged at all.

isons429

Ready to race!
Plus the bank would have a title, they could pick it up and sell it at auction for easily over $10k... I don't think banks just let that go... Very weird.

Very weird indeed. I am tempted to ask him for the VIN# to see what the deal is.