GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound system sucks

olisjk

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally went from a 2009 gti to a 2014 gti, it's the autobahn version (no sunroof, no xenon, etc.) Are these stock speakers the same brand as the speakers in the mk5? because the mk5 speakers were amazing especially when turned halfway, it feels like it will defeat my mk6's speakers at full. I have a subwoofer installed but still the speakers sound like shit, any recommendations?

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Are you using the iPod connection? There is a setting you need to change to low input that will make your iPod/iPhone sound leagues better.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
I have the Dynaudio, and think it sounds fine for a factory system.

olisjk

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to add, I have the wolsfburg edition that I was now told does not come with dynaudio. I mainly just use the bluetooth streaming or the radio, no connectors. Bass is at 0 as my subwoofer supplies more of that. Guess I should be looking for some dynaudio speakers then.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Perhaps you had the premium audio in the MK5, and now the base system in the MK6. Tough to complain when you don't have the same system. When I bought my car, it was important to have this option.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Just to add, I have the wolsfburg edition that I was now told does not come with dynaudio. I mainly just use the bluetooth streaming or the radio, no connectors. Bass is at 0 as my subwoofer supplies more of that. Guess I should be looking for some dynaudio speakers then.

I have Wolfsburg also and it sounds good to me. I have the bass from head unit all the way down. If you have a subwoofer then lowering the bass from head unit shouldn't affect it. You could always turn up the gain from the amplifier if need be. Adjust the aux level also so it won't be too much volume

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If you want better sound, there's only one solution - upgraded speakers (amplified by an amplifier).

corydd

Go Kart Champion
The sound system in these cars isn't great, unfortunately. Most of the money went towards the drivetrain and refinement.

Also, if you don't have a sunroof or xenons, yours is not an Autobahn. I believe the Autobahn package is fully loaded.

plat

Ready to race!
When my GTI was new, I took a spectrum analyzer and measured the response of the sound system with treble/mid/bass levels at '0'. The system is somewhat OK. It exhibited a flat response from 100Hz to 15kHz which is OK. However, it is comparable to average boombox sound quality. I have heard better boomboxes.

Sound is subjective so I cannot tell you which setting works best for you. However, to achieve the right setting, you need your music source to output a flat (no boost or cut tone adjustments) response. Then from there, work the treble/mid/bass settings on the radio. The trouble with a lot of music sources is that bass/treble/mids were adjusted during recording instead of recording them at a flat setting. If you start with a music source like that then it is best to keep the radio settings flat so you do not introduce unwanted increase or decrease of the treble/mid/bass. This is recommended if you were the one that introduced the EQ to the music source during recording. If you just got your music from the net then there is no way to tell if the music material is recorded with EQ or none. What you think is a good setting on your radio's treble/mid/bass for one music track may not work well with your other music tracks.

Another reason why the sound system may sound crappy is when you are used to listening to over-boosted music. This is a good way to corrupt the perception of good sound. I won't argue with you if this is what 'floats your boat'.

Does the Premium 8 Sound System in our GTI's need more low-end bass, yes. Does it need better tweeters, yes. I also find the mids lacking probably because the door speakers are too low in reference to ear height. Do I wish for a better sound system, yes. However, I no longer spend too much time in my car so I could not justify spending money on better sound system components. I have not heard the Dynaudio System so I could not comment on how good/bad it is. Some swear by it. Some hate it.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
The plug n play focal speaker kit made a world of difference to me. Not perfect but acceptable as far as I'm concerned. The acoustics in cars are inherently pretty shitty by design. Unless you rip everything out, install sound deadening, replace the speakers, headunit, and add a subwoofer you're probably going to be let down.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
The sound system in these cars isn't great, unfortunately. Most of the money went towards the drivetrain and refinement.

Also, if you don't have a sunroof or xenons, yours is not an Autobahn. I believe the Autobahn package is fully loaded.

This. Autobahn came with climate control, leather seats, sunroof, navigation, upgraded speakers. If yours is missing this it was likely base model. I think my sound in my 2013 Drivers Edition sounds fine.