GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Southbend DXD Stage 2 Daily slipping at 18k miles...

v.b

Ready to race!
Hey mike, I got a question regarding the same clutch.

I'm k04 and notice a tiny bit of slip at peak torque 4500 rpm. Rpms just pause for a sec. Logged rpm and it flatlines. Started in the colder weather.

Is that slight slip going to kill the clutch?

Re-read this post a few times. How is it that you attribute RPM rise pausing to a slipping clutch? Is your traction control on?

And dumping the clutch at 4.5k in 6th gear :bellyroll:

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
I think the pause is the clutch grabbing. It slips at say, 4300 rpm then flatlines to 4500 rpm then continues like normal.

Or, I'm just going crazy

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Hey mike, I got a question regarding the same clutch.

I'm k04 and notice a tiny bit of slip at peak torque 4500 rpm. Rpms just pause for a sec. Logged rpm and it flatlines. Started in the colder weather.

Is that slight slip going to kill the clutch?

Is it in 3rd gear? That's probably breaking traction and then gaining traction again. From what you are saying, my RPM's do the same thing in 3rd as soon as full boost comes in...in my case it's definitely tire spin. I have a video of it on my phone I believe, I'll try to get it on youtube and post it up.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I found out my issue, I'm just retarded and forgot to check all my bases first. I pulled the clutch stop out, and A) It was squished down quite a bit (rubber washers don't hold up over time), and B) I noticed after I took it in for service the last time there were two black disks on the floor, but thought it was from the door panel since I was at the dealer for that; they looked like hole covers from the door panel (I took my car without the door panel installed and was pissed, so I didn't think about it, but that's another story). Well, those two disks were park of the clutch stop that had been mashed off when the tech likely took my car for a joy ride...don't know how else it would have come off unless it was a coincidence...but likely they just jammed on it like apes. I went to Lowes and replaced the spacing with new metal washers and put a new pad on the front, shit works fantastic again.

Sorry this isn't helpful to you OP...

For OP, definitely give Achtuning a call, and do as Mike said and make sure to contact Southbend, or even have Mike call the owner since he has offered that up to you. You're 6k out of warranty on the clutch, and yes clutches are wear and tear, but when you buy aftermarket they should last even being abused for longer than 18k miles. It is possible it was part of their bad batch that went out too, so definitely look into that!

Hope it all works out for you, sucks to see something like that hit so close to home :(

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I talked to John at SouthBend...they're going to rebuild the clutch for $150, including resurfacing the friction surfaces. I'll be out of my car for a few days but family is helping out with that. Might be a good time for me to go to the Stage 2 Endurance.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
I talked to John at SouthBend...they're going to rebuild the clutch for $150, including resurfacing the friction surfaces. I'll be out of my car for a few days but family is helping out with that. Might be a good time for me to go to the Stage 2 Endurance.

How did you get a hold of him? I just tested mine out this morning and it's defiantly slipping

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
How did you get a hold of him? I just tested mine out this morning and it's defiantly slipping

South bend has a phone number. If you call they will help you. I just sent my clutch back to get it rebuilt while my transmission is apart. Nothing wrong with the clutch just a refresh from 2yrs 25k+ Miles and about 150 1/4 mile passes worth of use.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie

1 574-256-5064

John will give you good info; Nick is who you need to talk to about doing a warranty rebuild.

Did some reading on clutch characteristcs as well as talked to John. Dumping the clutch won't necessarily hurt it, least not that much...it does shock the drive line and in any case smooth quick engagement is best. What I did was severely overheat mine, albeit inadvertently; when it gets really hot, especially under a lot of pressure, it wears down quickly (duh). I had always thought that abuse meant hard engagements...I was wrong.

The trouble is not knowing how much slippage is bad. I've had to drive in a lot of stop and go. I've never held the car using the clutch, and have tried to avoid excessive slipping; turns out I must be more careful.

I'm looking at either $150 for the rebuild as is, or $200 for upgrade to the Endurance. Thoughts? I wouldn't mind having a clutch that can better handle power especially K04, but the drawback is, more aggressive clutches wear out faster...Thoughts?

v.b

Ready to race!
You can dump the clutch in low gear and it will shock the drivetrain but break tires loose most likely and spare the clutch a beating. Dumping it in 6th gear shocks the drivetrain but it can't spin the tires so the next thing that slips (hopefully) is the clutch.

I was always under the impression that the stage 2 daily is plenty for a k04 daily driver. I have the same setup and its held up well for quite a bit of miles.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
You can dump the clutch in low gear and it will shock the drivetrain but break tires loose most likely and spare the clutch a beating. Dumping it in 6th gear shocks the drivetrain but it can't spin the tires so the next thing that slips (hopefully) is the clutch.

I was always under the impression that the stage 2 daily is plenty for a k04 daily driver. I have the same setup and its held up well for quite a bit of miles.

The Stage 2 Daily is rated (conservatively) at 400 ft-lbf. APR rates the 2.0 TSI K04 100 octane file at 408 crank ft-lbf...Granted, you probably wouldn't be running race gas in a daily driver, AMD APR rates the K04 at 360 ft-lbf on 91 octane, and 382 on 93...I think that would be pushing it especially as the clutch wears.

gravis86

Passed Driver's Ed
I know I'm resurrecting a semi-old thread, but I'm also experiencing slippage on my Stage 2 Daily, installed by Achtuning in Redmond (not that it's relevant).

It's doing the same as my stock clutch did: WOT in 5th or 6th fear slips at peak (2500rpm) torque. This is not dropping the clutch at all, it's already engaged and just rolling on the throttle.

I'm APR Stage 1, about 40k on the clutch.

str77

Ready to race!
I know I'm resurrecting a semi-old thread, but I'm also experiencing slippage on my Stage 2 Daily, installed by Achtuning in Redmond (not that it's relevant).

It's doing the same as my stock clutch did: WOT in 5th or 6th fear slips at peak (2500rpm) torque. This is not dropping the clutch at all, it's already engaged and just rolling on the throttle.

Funny!
I just installed my SB daily yersteday. First I was super disappointed on the noise level. ( I made a thread to have people rating on scale of 0-10 the noise they get compare to stock. 10 the loudest ). I wonder if it's normal.
But The garage told me that these clutch last average 40k...so It was also another bad news. It's my first and last SB I think

Does it slip if you drive it normal, lower gear at higher rpm?

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
What's the status on those of you who posted slippage here? Hitting about 40k and mine is slipping more consistently in the cold. Southbend Stage 2 daily silent with APR K04 3.1. Wondering what you guys did or are doing. Thinking about stage 3 daily for a little headroom with similar characteristics (Minus pedal weight) or going stage 2 endurance. The endurance scares me due to longevity but it suits my driving more I think. I've loved all 40k miles with this clutch.