GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedo mismatch - Digital vs. Analog

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello!

I've noticed a strange detail during highway driving - there is very obvious mismatch between the speed indicated by the digital display on the MFD and the analog speedometer!

The difference is about 5kmph, with the digital readout being higher. This also happens when using cruise control.

Anyone else notice/experience this?

On a different note, have any of you found the instrumentation lights getting dim while driving on a shaded road, for instance due to dense trees or even highrises? I noticed it a few times, to the extent that the dials get a bit too dim and harder to read. This happens whether the light switch is off or on auto. Rather irritating.

Will appreciate any helpful suggetions/ideas!

jokerific

Ready to race!
a) Yes, they aren't exactly in sync.. my analog speedo is slightly higher than the digital, by a couple mph maybe
b) Yep there's a sensor in the tach somewhere that tells the gauges to dim to remind you to turn on your headlights when you're driving in the darkness :p It can't tell shade apart from darkness... If you have the headlights on Auto and the gauges still dim in the shade without the headlights turning on automatically, it's probably because the headlight sensor (separate, behind your rearview mirror) doesn't think it's dark enough yet.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
Has anyone actually had a dealer tweak this to match them better?
I find that both don't match each other.
Nor are they correct. ie they both read faster than actual......
Not out by much maybe 3 to 5 kph at 100 kph..........

zee

Go Kart Champion
Mine is exact when running my summer 18"s, but a little off with my winter setup.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I have detroits and its pretty much an exact match.

Clempson13

Ready to race!
i'd say they are close enough that i don't care. if you installed another meter for your fuel level i doubt both would match either. 5kmph is about 3mph so its really not a big deal, get someone to ride with you at the same speed and see what theirs reads, im bet you it will be different than yours.

and yes swapping wheel sizes will have and impact on your OD accuracy since the distance per revolution of the wheel is different.

Marvin

Ready to race!
The instrument lights dim when you enter any shaded area so as not too be too bright and dazzling, after all if the ambient light in the cab is low then you don't want the lighting too bright. Similarly if you are in very bright sunshine then their illumination is much greater so they can be seen more easily. As far as I know that, in the UK anway, this is not related to reminding you to turn on your lights.

Peachaz

Ready to race!
I have winter wheels on right now and notice that when I am going 150 km/hr, my GPS claims 136km/hr. This is due to a circumference difference.

My analog guage is higher than digital by 5 km/hr, I am going to wait to put on my summer set up before I make an appointment to have it looked at.

jokerific

Ready to race!
The instrument lights dim when you enter any shaded area so as not too be too bright and dazzling, after all if the ambient light in the cab is low then you don't want the lighting too bright. Similarly if you are in very bright sunshine then their illumination is much greater so they can be seen more easily. As far as I know that, in the UK anway, this is not related to reminding you to turn on your lights.

Ahh, yeah, well, they dim pretty low when you're in the shade and when it's dark enough they turn off completely here.

GTIJosh

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree that the speedos are off slightly, but on the analog one the needle isn't very flush so if you look at it straight on the readings are much closer.

ataman

Ready to race!
I do not own a GTI yet but I played with one of them at a dealer, under setting there was a speedometer calibration setting under snow tires or winter.. Can not remember the exact wording but it gave you option to offset your speedometer...

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
I do not own a GTI yet but I played with one of them at a dealer, under setting there was a speedometer calibration setting under snow tires or winter.. Can not remember the exact wording but it gave you option to offset your speedometer...

Nope, what you saw there is a speed warning. Whenever you hit that speed, a warning will sound because you're wearing winter tires and have to remember to not drive as fast.

ghotch

MKVI Owner
There is a speedo adjustment setting

There is a setting in the MFD that will allow for calibration of winter tires and summer tires. Please check your manual out....it's in there.

Additionally, you can turn off the stupid noise when you've exceeded a certain speed limit as well...you can also adjust when it goes off by changing the MPH/KMH settings.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
The analog speedo is off by 1-2 mph, but the odometer is right on the money when you check the mile markers.

The digital is right on the money.

Last edited: