GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squeak and friction in shifter?

boost pls

Passed Driver's Ed
Bone stock 2013 R. When I go to shift 4 -> 5, if i dont push the shifter perfectly straight out of 4th (read: if i have any lateral pressure to the right at all) there is a feeling of rubbing or friction and a squeak noise from the shifter.

i know, i know - just dont be lazy and shift cleaner right? well i have been working on cleaning up my shifts a little bit but what bothers me is that literally every other car i have ever driven with a manual transmission does not do this.

case in point - i was test driving a 2013 GLI tonight (my gf is thinking about picking one up during the model year clearance special) and i could push on the shifter with plenty of lateral force as i was shifting 4 -> 5 and could not get it to make such a squeak or feel any rubbing at all. ( aside: love the feel of the GLI shifter, much more notchy and solid feeling than our .:R in my opinion. also the clutch felt shorter and was more to my taste)

anywho...anyone else on here experience the same thing??? :iono:

Merkle

Banned
Take it to the dealer and have it checked out. Could be that your shift linkage just needs adjusting, that would account for the lateral sensitivity. Is it hard to put into reverse, or only 4th to 5th?

boost pls

Passed Driver's Ed
Take it to the dealer and have it checked out. Could be that your shift linkage just needs adjusting, that would account for the lateral sensitivity. Is it hard to put into reverse, or only 4th to 5th?

i probably will take it to the dealer eventually because i need to get the door to the little compartment under the console replaced under warranty. to clarify, it is not difficult to shift at all. slides into 5th like butter. its just that the little rub and squeak when exiting 4th bothers me and sounds like its not good for the shifter assembly.