GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel "shake" at highway speeds

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Just took in my TDI for its 50k service (at 44k) 7 days ago. Nothing replaced, just rotated tires and oil.

However now, and after driving 1000 miles, i know for sure I am not imagining my steering wheel shaking when I get up to 70 mph. The same shaking you would experience in an older car.

What should I do? How should I approach the dealership about it? I know for sure it only started doing this after I took it in for service.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
tires need to be rebalanced
if you have spacers under 8mm they will cause this
control arm bushings may be worn
brake rotors warped or need to be re-bed

From your list I gather the only thing the dealership would be responsible for is not rebalancing my tires when they rotated it?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
one of your wheels might be bent or cracked. Check your wheels. Probably lot attendant hit something like a curb or pothole hard in parking lot somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
one of your wheels might be bent or cracked. Check your wheels. Probably lot attendant hit something like a curb or pothole hard in parking lot somewhere.

I will check on this next time I go out to my car...If that is the case, how should I approach my dealer about it?

I feel as though it would be an uphill battle...

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I will check on this next time I go out to my car...If that is the case, how should I approach my dealer about it?

I feel as though it would be an uphill battle...

Dealer cost more for replacing wheel, look for local wheel repair areas if they are just bended, they should cost around $160 per wheel depending on shop. Otherwise, demand a free wheel since it's their fuck-up.

Come on lets be realistic here. He needs to balance the tires, or at least the two in the front. He didn't feel it before b/c the mis-balanced tire was in the rear and now it is on the drive wheels linked to the steering.

OP the dealer has no fault here at all since tire balancing and tire rotation are two unrelated services and are separate from one another (service wise). If you wanted the tires/wheels balanced then you would have to have paid for this service. No dealer/shop/independent shop is going to do balancing for free unless they advertise it as a package.

Is there a chance your wheel is dented? A small chance yes but this has nothing to do w/ the dealer and everything to do w/ you and the roads. Anyway that is not the issue, re-balance the wheels and watch the issue go away...

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Inspect your wheels and see if possibly a wheel balancing wt has come off. There would be some residue on the wheel where the wt was.

How many miles on the tires?

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Balance the tires

I'd say it is imbalance. Rotating tires & not rebalancing can certainly cause this. Depending on how long since the tires have been rotated previously the rear tires could have gone out of balance. Rear tires will cup if not rotated enough. Find a good tire shop & have them balance your tires. Dealers are not tire experts, good tire shops are.

you could conceivably also have irregular wear (heavy negative camber on rear) that is pretty much impossible to get rid of...even after balancing.

Rotation every 5k is a must with Golfs.