GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock caliper for Stage 3 Gti?

henryjye

Ready to race!
With slotted/drilled rotors,better pads and stainless steel hose,is the braking power sufficient?

anyone run similar set up for their stage 3 gti mind to share their experience?

any input is appreciated.
thanks

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
The braking power is sufficient. The repeatability is not. Depends on how you're going to drive it. Going to the track? Playing rice rockets on the street?

mk6 gti brake upgrade site:www.golfmk6.com

henryjye

Ready to race!
its my daily , not going on track but just travelling more than 100miles per day on highway

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have had my GTI MKV since 2008 and it is modded 330whp. It uses the same calipers. A bunch of us worked on trying to find the Ultimate stock brake upgrade.

Based on your input I can tell you that the best thing you can do is simply upgrade your brake pads and you will see nice changes in stopping power. For inexpensive pads I like the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. Just put those on all 4 wheels and you will feel a big difference.

After much work we found the following combination of upgrades do very well if you want a more complete solution. Slotted, drilled rotors will add nothing other than looks for you. Blanks will provide best friction surface.

Ultimate build list for stock GTI braking system (street)
Flush brake fluid and replace with ATE hi-temp fluid
Stainless steel brake lines
Centric Hi-Carbon blank rotors
Endless MXRS brake pads front (these are 400.00 a set)
HPS 5.0 brake pads front (for a more cost effective solution)
HPS 5.0 brake pads rear

Edit - we also added Tyrolsport stiffening kit (helps our single piston front calipers apply more even pressure across the pad)

If your rotors are ok, just drop in a set of HPS pads for an inexpensive but very effective upgrade.

Eventually I moved to the Golf R brake calipers/rotors because I started tracking the car which has completely different braking needs.

Note - HPS 5.0 is only one pad of many in that price range that can get the job done.

Last edited:

henryjye

Ready to race!
I have had my GTI MKV since 2008 and it is modded 330whp. It uses the same calipers. A bunch of us worked on trying to find the Ultimate stock brake upgrade.

Based on your input I can tell you that the best thing you can do is simply upgrade your brake pads and you will see nice changes in stopping power. For inexpensive pads I like the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. Just put those on all 4 wheels and you will feel a big difference.

After much work we found the following combination of upgrades do very well if you want a more complete solution. Slotted, drilled rotors will add nothing other than looks for you. Blanks will provide best friction surface.

Ultimate build list for stock GTI braking system (street)
Flush brake fluid and replace with ATE hi-temp fluid
Stainless steel brake lines
Centric Hi-Carbon blank rotors
Endless MXRS brake pads front (these are 400.00 a set)
HPS 5.0 brake pads front (for a more cost effective solution)
HPS 5.0 brake pads rear

If your rotors are ok, just drop in a set of HPS pads for an inexpensive but very effective upgrade.

Eventually I moved to the Golf R brake calipers/rotors because I started tracking the car which has completely different braking needs.
thanks alot for ur advice

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Personally I wouldn't do that. The stock brakes are definitely capable of stopping the car but I don't think you'll have much luck after the second time of going from 100+ to 30-40. If your going stage 3 odds have it that you will be driving faster more often and braking harder more often. I would go bbk if possible.