GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock for Stock, Evo X more reliable than MK6 GTI?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yes.

DSR7

Ready to race!
Aside from the increased maintenance schedule, it seems that the Evo X is superior in not having the little problems occur, such as the damn waterpump failing every other day, injectors goings, coils blowing...

What about carbon build up?

TheCastle

Ready to race!
I suppose some of this is luck of the draw too. I know this isn't the exact comparision. I've had Mitsubishi eclipse Gsx in the past and a GTI. My GTI has been more reliable than my gsx was and my GTI and WRX were about equal reliability. So I have a good GTI, with no mechanical issues. But I had a 2008 fsi Jetta Wolfsburg, and damn that thing was broken all the time when new. So it's luck of the draw on many cars. I'd also say that the forums of any car tend to blow up defects that affect a very small number of cars into major crises.

My gsx had a weak transmission common problem, WRX had body issues with rattles and ecu failures.

One thing is clear though new cars are more reliable.

The GTI is very power limited due to no real aftermarket fueling solutions.

No awd on the GTI.

Last edited:

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
One is Japanese, the other is German.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
The extra money you spend on purchase price, gas, and insurance for an Evo probably negates any cost savings from reduced repair costs.

Buy whichever car you like better, life's too short to do anything else.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
Aside from the increased maintenance schedule, it seems that the Evo X is superior in not having the little problems occur, such as the damn waterpump failing every other day, injectors goings, coils blowing...

What about carbon build up?

Not sure about the Evo X, but I know older Evos are plagued with a lot of problems. Especially with weak transmissions. Carbon build up will happen with most direct injection cars.
I would say a VW and Mitsubishi are pretty much on par in general reliability. They aren't as reliable as say Hondas, Subaru, Toyotas or Nissans.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
If I was going to consider that route, I'd personally go WRX or STI. I was very unimpressed with a 2010 Evo MR I drove recently. It was their Auto transmission but the car felt BARELY as fast as my stage 1 GTI, maybe a tiny bit faster. I was expecting throw me in my seat fast for 300hp but it just wasn't. Also very overpriced. It had like 75k on it and they still wanted more than $25,000 for it.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I've heard the EvoX's are pretty unreliable, though I don't know what exactly goes wrong with them.

Has Mitsu figured out their crank walk issues?

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
-Evo X MR at times have heating issues due the transmission, aside from that they are pretty reliable.

-The GSR is the favorite for tuners, the 5th gear( final) is too short, common mod:get a taller 5th gear to low the rpms a bit.

-Crank walk issues were more related to the 2nd Gen. Eclipse engine.

-Mighty AWD on the Evo X, closest thing is the Nissan GTR's one.

In comparisson (petulant), what the WRX & STI are today, Mitsu brought it already on the X.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Trans coolers are pretty cheap/easy to add, I'd think an MR with trans cooler would be a good street/track car if you don't tune it to make 50 psi of boost and blow it up :lol:

:word: