GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stock gti vs luxury suvs

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Why do these things keep picking on me? They always get me at a stop light when I'm not expecting it. Usually I'm in gas saver mode so I shortshift second then then I realize the guy next to me is racing. Then I'm in the awkward 30mph too fast for first but too slow for second :(

Today was an ML55. Just day dreaming on my way home. Light turns green, i take off. Throw it in second when the ML is screaming next to me. I think maybe I have a chance against that pig of an SUV. Hit the hammer and realize I have no boost yet. Now its a waiting game. I watch the tach rise painfully slow. I swear it stopped at 5k rpm for a second like a clock at 2pm on a friday. Finally I feel some acceleration. I look up and this 350 HP SUV just isn't being reeled in. I slam third and see no progress so I let out.

How depressing. Maybe a different story if i ran first gear out and stayed in boost. I really need stage 1 now. Maybe BT? Why don't they just pick on other SUVs instead of my gas saver?

GTmyI

Ready to race!
I have similar experience 2 days ago...Not an SUV, but old dude thinks his Benz is super fast. I was turning left going on to the ramp to a freeway, while I was turning, passing the intersection, this E350 4matic was turning right with a yield sign suppose to yield to me. I didnt have to slam on the break but I did have to brake so he "force" himself out, then he realize I was right behind his ass, speed up a bit to merge out the the freeway. as soon as the merger lane end, he punch it so I gun it as well, S mode, catching up on his ass slowly. Eventually he realize he is getting caught up... he went back in to the left of the freeway. I kept going then look at him, he actually gives up a Thumbs up...

I am sure he will beat me once I hit my top speed. Looks up the spes, they have 300hp/270lbs torque and they weight 3800+lbs

Didnt have my go pro or passager with me to record it! Sorry!

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Some luxury SUVs are decent, power-wise.

I ran a cayanne GTS and pulled fairly hard, but a recent style range rover sport and cayanne turbo..both pulled me nicely on high end.

Also, don't mess with an x6-M

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
A stock gti is 200hp. Accept the fact that it isn't the fastest thing out there. Just enjoy your car and forget about the racecarmoms trying to crush egos. Enjoy the handling dynamics of your car.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
It's times like these I hate myself for buying a Gti instead of a WRX.

Op you could have just taken a Fwy on ramp and made a joke of that ml though lol

Dillpa

Passed Driver's Ed
There is always an SUV that will be faster and it doesn't have to be luxury.

My 2004 Forester XT auto with just a protune puts the smack down on my 2013 GTI with uni DSG stage 1/APR ecu stage 1. Almost same weight, but the AWD and a final drive of 4.44 gets it going (0-60 in 4.7 sec) and with E85 it would be closer to 4.0.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
I know I didn't buy a race car, but give me a chance! Thats all I ask for. If I get a good launch from a dig it's a completely different race. I always fall for the bait when I am out of the power band. Usually they pick on me in the truck (tundra). No one bother when I was in the Impreza. Now the GTI is like "race me" to everyone for some reason. One of the SUVs I lost to was a Cayanne as well. Regular one. Wasn't paying attention. Lady got me at a merge from a stop light. Didn't think she'd go. Ugh. Got her at the next light though.

In my younger days I had a 600 ninja. Was out riding with my buddy on his F4i and we came up to an E55. Guy peels off when it turns green. Caught us both by surprise. I couldn't catch up, he was pulling away too fast. My buddy caught him past 100 somewhere. Damn those things pull hard once they start moving.

Had a Porsche act tough when I had my SRT8 Magnum. We ended up going at it, maybe from a slow roll can't remember. We were side by side till about 120. He'd fall back a little every time he shift then pull up a little, then fall back. The magnum pulled hard (385 rwhp dynoed) from a roll. Past 130 it wasn't much to talk about though. He was cool and gave a thumbs up. Most porsche owners turn their noses up and won't acknowledge a loss or even a good race.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
There is always an SUV that will be faster and it doesn't have to be luxury.

My 2004 Forester XT auto with just a protune puts the smack down on my 2013 GTI with uni DSG stage 1/APR ecu stage 1. Almost same weight, but the AWD and a final drive of 4.44 gets it going (0-60 in 4.7 sec) and with E85 it would be closer to 4.0.

wait what?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
GTI is slow as balls until you start tuning and not really a monster until you hit K04 territory. My stage II still let's me down especially now that I'm used to the power.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Stage 1 torque can often take other cars by surprise. I pulled out in front of a stock Camero yesterday who was pulling out just 50 ft down the road (it was a 2 lane highway, I wasn't being a dick!) and saw him lay into the throttle by his front end lifting. I hit it at about 20 in 3rd and had pulled away from him by 65. Torque, torque, torque!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
becauselivinginchicago

;)

Dillpa

Passed Driver's Ed
wait what?

This should not be a surprise given that the 2004 Forester XT can accelerate quicker than a 2004 STI after a protune, no mods needed.

2004 STI: 2263 lbs, 3.9 final drive, 2.5L
2004 XT auto: 2250, 4.44 final drive, 2.5L STI engine (same part number)

Plus, after a protune I average 28 MPG and it cost $26k MSRP vs the $31k STI. If I could go back 10 years I would have bought 2, been a great compact SUV over the years.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
ummm, when didn an STI weigh 2263lbs?!?!