GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange Flutter Noise - 3/4 Shift

soldier0829

Ready to race!
My car recently developed a strange fluttering/chirping noise (almost sounds like the tires are slipping) between the 3/4 shift in "D" mode with the DSG. I am aware of the K04 "flutter" noise under part throttle, but this is a little different and doesn't happen between the 1/2 ans 2/3 shift at all. Any thoughts? :confused:

Ihaterice

Ready to race!
Could it possibly just be the dv releasing boost? U said it doesn't happen between 1-2 and 2-3 which is generally in the revs where the k04 doesn't make power. It's just a thought. How long have u been K04 or did this just start happening? Do u have a boost gauge or any way to check for leaks? Is it loud enough to be heard on video when cruising? It would really help everyone diagnose or at least narrow down the problem.

Ihaterice

Ready to race!
*if u post a video that is

soldier0829

Ready to race!
I have had the K04 for about 8 months now and the noise is new. BUT I recently learned there was no gasket between my TOP and IC coupling (which I fixed), so I must have been leaking boost since the beginning.

I have been using dash command as a boost gauge and everything looks good - 23 or so psi - 353 estimated HP - it is just the odd noise. I'll try and take a video this week. Not sure if the iPhone will pick it up.

I am not throwing any CELs, but I do have the "Small EVP Leak Detected" code when I run the scan.

soldier0829

Ready to race!
For the life of me I still can't figure this out. Here is a quick video to show the problem. Listen for the flutter towards the end (you'll hear some wheel hop at the beginning mind you - this is not the cause of the noise in the later shifts).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qkroiO-EzU

Bino

Go Kart Champion
Looks fine to me. It makes that noise right when the car shifts and you let off.

BTW: I have never seen wheel hop in a GTI. That's nasty. :yikes:

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
I have had the K04 for about 8 months now and the noise is new. BUT I recently learned there was no gasket between my TOP and IC coupling (which I fixed), so I must have been leaking boost since the beginning.

I have been using dash command as a boost gauge and everything looks good - 23 or so psi - 353 estimated HP - it is just the odd noise. I'll try and take a video this week. Not sure if the iPhone will pick it up.

I am not throwing any CELs, but I do have the "Small EVP Leak Detected" code when I run the scan.

Can the gauge you are using tell you vacuum in Hg at idle?

Also the EVP code might have something to do with fuel, could be unrelated.

soldier0829

Ready to race!
Noise is getting worse. Now not just the 3/4 but 1/2 and other part throttle acceleration situations as well. It almost sounds like a bad diverter valve. Is it possible to blow the new piston style DV with a K04? The sound started after my last track day at Lime Rock, where I was obviously building serious boost all day long.

jeturner80

If I'm not mistaken that would be your Turbo, not the noise you hear when the diverter valve releases, but when your Turbo builds up the pressure the noise it makes when it builds up pressure that's what you are hearing, that is the Turbo spoiling, it sounds like a flutter

soldier0829

Ready to race!
It certainly wasn't the DV. I replaced that and no help. It is a very strange noise - it generally happens under mid throttle right at the shift point (see video). I'm starting to think it could be DSG related but I am really at a loss. No CEL's, no obvious leaks, nothing. Going to have to bring it in but not sure if I should go to the tuner who installed the K04 or the stealership to look at the DSG.

jtgarrett13

It certainly wasn't the DV. I replaced that and no help. It is a very strange noise - it generally happens under mid throttle right at the shift point (see video). I'm starting to think it could be DSG related but I am really at a loss. No CEL's, no obvious leaks, nothing. Going to have to bring it in but not sure if I should go to the tuner who installed the K04 or the stealership to look at the DSG.

OP, ever find a solution to this?