GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

sub box design help

the_abuse

Ready to race!
can some one tell me if im close to spec or not i had a hard time trying to figure out what alpine wants for their optimum ported sub box. i got the dimensions down the only problem i had was building the proper sized port. but i think the one i made may do. audio gurus let me know how i did. thanks

Model: SWR-1023D
alpine spec sheet:
http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR_S06212011.pdf

The box:

Last edited:

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
download a program like winISD pro. Learn to use it and it will help you design the box. Also, consider doing a round port as slot ports act a lil funny sometimes.

Also, why are you going ported? If you want sound quality and power handling go sealed. Everyone one forgets about cabin gain, and when they install a ported box, its very boomy on a certain note due to cabin gain

the_abuse

Ready to race!
download a program like winISD pro. Learn to use it and it will help you design the box. Also, consider doing a round port as slot ports act a lil funny sometimes.

Also, why are you going ported? If you want sound quality and power handling go sealed. Everyone one forgets about cabin gain, and when they install a ported box, its very boomy on a certain note due to cabin gain

i was gonna go sealed i had a fiber glass box almost made and my land lord threw it out while it was curing because he didnt know what it was so i was like fuck it im making a mdf box for now... and i like loud do i was gonna go ported

also i thought sealed had less power control. i saw a video on it the other day where they showed that a sub can handle better if it is ported

Goobax

Ready to race!
ported box in a hatch will sound terrible IMO. People tend to get caught up in the ported hype but fail to properly tune the ports.

Low Boost

Ready to race!
Go with a sealed box. I just tested my car out this evening. The box is sealed with about 1.2 ft of airspace.
I extended the speaker wire off the amp and moved my sub (12 inch RF P2) to the GTI. The amp is a RF 325.1, if I recall, running @ 2 ohm. I tested the box facing the deck (up) and it didn't sound that great. It sounded alot better when it was firing towards the hatch! I had to try it out! Stock sound and no sub is awful......

D Darko

Ready to race!
+1 on the sealed>ported. Easier to design too. Sure, you need more power to get the same spl's, but most power is cheap these days. Besides, unless you are really into doing it on your own, Nik's Uber Stealth stuff is amazing for the price.