GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suggestions on new tires

red_stapler

Ready to race!
Those of you who have had the Firehawk Indy 500's: how many miles have you gotten out of them? Still performing well without a ton of road noise or loss of performance as the miles racked up?

I'm up to ~5000 miles, 7 autocrosses, and ~20 minutes of trackday sessions. I don't have a depth gauge to say exactly how much wear, but they're around 75% remaining. They have developed a bit of tread growl compared to the Comp-2 A/S on my other wheels, but that is somewhat expected given their use. I'm stock, so I can't really comment on the "traction in 2nd gear" benchmark, but my laptimes are about 107% (meaning slower) than a Potenza RE71R.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
There is so much info on tires I figured I'd open a new thread, sorry if it annoys anyone but this IS the easiest way to get the info and I appreciate the feedback a lot. Been a long time reader here and there really is a ton of great info.

Currently have dunlop sp sport a/s tires that came with the car. After the stage 1 tune and replacing the clutch, twice (long story), I am ready for some new tires while also needing an alignment. Car has stock suspension and I lose traction sometimes in third but almost all the way til redline in 2nd gear. I'm not looking for miracles here just looking for suggestions on tires that will grip a little better.

I'd like them to last for a bit, at least 20,000 miles.
Something with a little more grip than the current

Not too many requirements here. I'm on lagunas, not sure if I can/should go wider maybe to a 235 but I would like to if it's advisable but no big deal if not. It's going to get hot as sh!t outside here soon in FL and I'd like something that can not try to kill me in the rain either. I could get suggestions from my local tires people but they're biased by who they sell even if they have great options.

Thanks in advance, pfa
I recently changed over from Michelin PS2s to PS3s, and had to go up to the 235x40 18 because the PS3s didn't come in 225.
I couldn't be happier. Great traction better longevity. And I got a $70.00 credit card from America's Tyre. Woo hoo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
Anyone have experience with these?
HANKOOK
VENTUS V12 EVO2

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
For the Florida weather, the Direzza ZII star specs is more than perfect, they are super grippy when they get hot, however if your concern is rain when driving, perhaps you go better with a set of EXTREMECONTACT SPORT or the Michelin Pilot super sport.
P.S:235 launches better, but heavier.

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
Went with the Hancook Ventus V12 and I can't believe it but I don't spin when it's dry in 2nd anymore and even some in 1st. This is the first time I've felt the little HP this thing has in 2nd and it's a ton of fun. They also feel great in the rain. Went down a fun twisty road where I would normally spin at higher speeds between 60-80mph while in a turn, this time it just stuck and went where I pointed it.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Went with the Hancook Ventus V12 and I can't believe it but I don't spin when it's dry in 2nd anymore and even some in 1st. This is the first time I've felt the little HP this thing has in 2nd and it's a ton of fun. They also feel great in the rain. Went down a fun twisty road where I would normally spin at higher speeds between 60-80mph while in a turn, this time it just stuck and went where I pointed it.

Good to hear! Any well reviewed tire will always feel like a million bucks compared to your old ones. Give it some time and report back with how they're behaving. Always good to have long term feedback on tires.

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
Good to hear! Any well reviewed tire will always feel like a million bucks compared to your old ones. Give it some time and report back with how they're behaving. Always good to have long term feedback on tires.

Will do. I expect these to last 18k-20k so about one year for me lol.
Oddly when I had the dunlop sport a/s's on, they had 4k miles when I had my tune done and they never had traction. Even when I rotated the back to the front before doing these, never had traction and those tires were newish enough where they should have had traction.

I'll say for now, they feel smooth, smoother than the dunlops when new. I have a lot of confidence on initial turn in at higher speeds. Feels much more planted than before, off throttle steering just digs when before it would slide more and trail from the rear. Haven't launched yet, but will soon

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
best of luck getting 20k on em. Easy on the launches haha. Stg1 spun tires alot for me. Before I went to Stg2 I had a set of those that did 12k before I was solidly on the wearbar but I was very hard on them

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
^^ I'll try lol. I drive 50-60 miles a day for work, 90% of that is 70mph, pretty sure I'll get some good mileage out of them. Launching, I've only launched my car around 3 times in the last 15,000 miles, won't be happening often but track days will happen.

For $125 a tire, I'm ok with needing them once a year.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
^^ I'll try lol. I drive 50-60 miles a day for work, 90% of that is 70mph, pretty sure I'll get some good mileage out of them. Launching, I've only launched my car around 3 times in the last 15,000 miles, won't be happening often but track days will happen.

For $125 a tire, I'm ok with needing them once a year.

me too. I got my bf goodrichs for like 95 a tire and theyll probably only get like 11 months total of driving but who cares thats cheap fun

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
Got to go through a lovely road last night I use to benchmark every car and my current car with every setup it's had. The road noise from these tires is louder than others through the turns, the confidence though is amazing. Turn in is really nice and my toe is about dead zero with only 1 degree of negative camber for the front, back camber is -.8 both sides so relatively close to the front.

Roctre

Ready to race!
I love my hankook v12s. They allow me hook up in second after driving a bit and I got them for $96 a piece so you can't really beat that.