GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI section

Dennis Moeller

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, 6 spd DSG

Probably will considering chipping once the "newness" has worn off. Fortunately their are some good threads on this and other forums on recommended chips for the MK6

Anybody else with DSG experienced the same with the Hill-hold function? (minor issue really)

thanks

Hi...

First off, let me introduce myself. I live in Norway and since we have a long winter up here with lots of snow and very low temperatures I "had" to order a TDI in order to get 4WD...It will be my first TDI so I'm quite excited about it. I've always been a non believer of noisy smoking diesel engines...but since the common rail engines arrived and I've driven quite a few of 'em now (work at a VW dealership) I'm now convinced.
And I can't wait to get it tuned :D
Ok, so I ordered a Golf mkVI 2.0TDI 140 4Motion Highline Sport with 18" sport suspension, Vancouver's, Sports seats, Alcantara, Dynaudio RCD510, Adaptive Xenon, Webasto w. remote control and a lot of other stuff...It's beeing produced in week 8 and I hope I'll take delivery sometime around week 10.

Now to my question to johny: will you care to post the threads you mentioned...I'm gathering as much info as I can regarding a tune up for this engine before I decide which one to go for. I really don't want the highest figures out there as I'm more concerned about real life power. Warranty etc. isn't really an issue since I work at a dealership and if things go wrong I'm covered :thumbsup:
I know that the CR engine a quite difficult to get a lot of power out of and most agree that the DPF ruins the party to a certain degree. I don't want to buy an expensive delete pipe because I will sell the car within 1.5 years. So a simple stage1 chip/tune will do for me...

As I live in Scandinavia I'm looking for a bluefin type of thing where you can upload the software yourself...

Cheers

Mat

Oh man, 4wd golf TDI... You're so lucky!

When will VW Canada realise we also have a long and cold winter with lots of snow and ice... I definetely would have paid the extra to get my TDI with 4 motion.

Dennis Moeller

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh man, 4wd golf TDI... You're so lucky!

When will VW Canada realise we also have a long and cold winter with lots of snow and ice... I definetely would have paid the extra to get my TDI with 4 motion.

In Norway (and Canada f. ex.) 4WD should be standard on all cars...stupid really that Volkswagen don't see that. Coming from the Audi world (just sold my 2001 S3) I knew that I had to have all wheel drive on the next car if I had to make a switch VW...My next concern is the ESP-ASR not beeing able to switch it off 100%...what is that all about. Lucky me working in a VW shop, that way the mechanics can customize the electric systems like they do on the driving scholl cars hehe...I hate ESP ASR when I go for that sunday blast in the mountains :D

TDI110

O_o
It may be that VW is scared of opening a flood gate of options that will raise the value of the car to above a price that the North American buyer is unwilling to pay. Back home, before I moved to Germany for work, whenever I mentioned a German car the first knock against it was price and parts availability. I don't subscribe to that argument.

Would be nice to see some decent options when building cars in NA that are available in Europe.

This winter has caught a lot of European countries off guard eh, heh, the other day I wished I had the 4motion package ;P

Although the engine clacking of the diesel engine is hard to ignore while outside the car, inside is another story, it's quiet and refined. I drove the new Fiat Bravo and it's like a damn tractor rattling about. Kudo's to VW for making the diesel engine a civilized one eh?

johny

To Don Miller's question re re-mapping threads:

Quite a few here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I have not seriously looked into it myself as I'm a bit apprehensive to do anything that might breach the factory warranty cover. Does seem that a lot of bloggers recommend APR as a safe choice in general for VW (not sure if specifically for the MK6 as well, but I would guess so).

I also agree with "MonthOLDpickle" that any TDI is great.
Amazing how it got refined over the years, - I remember as a kid our neighbours had a MK1 diesel. Could hear it miles away and they were quite sluggish, but of course always very economical.

Dennis Moeller

Passed Driver's Ed
It may be that VW is scared of opening a flood gate of options that will raise the value of the car to above a price that the North American buyer is unwilling to pay. Back home, before I moved to Germany for work, whenever I mentioned a German car the first knock against it was price and parts availability. I don't subscribe to that argument.

Would be nice to see some decent options when building cars in NA that are available in Europe.

This winter has caught a lot of European countries off guard eh, heh, the other day I wished I had the 4motion package ;P

Although the engine clacking of the diesel engine is hard to ignore while outside the car, inside is another story, it's quiet and refined. I drove the new Fiat Bravo and it's like a damn tractor rattling about. Kudo's to VW for making the diesel engine a civilized one eh?
I guess you're right there TDI110, it's a shame though! Yes the VAG group have done wonders for the diesel engine...
The Golf I have on order was quite pricey, before my employee discount it cost nearly 400.000 norwegian kroner (roughly 70.000 US$) and it's my first brand new car. I always believed in buying 3-5 year old cars so my loss wouldn't be too heavy but this deal is more beneficial due to the discount....
And yeah this winter is just sick...during 3-4 days around xmas we had 70-80cm of white powder and since then it's just been colder and colder...I don't even live in the most cold parts of Norway but it's been between -20 and -28 degrees since xmas...BrrrrRRrrrrRrrrr...I just hope that we get some warmer weather and lot's of snow around delivery time....
To Don Miller's question re re-mapping threads:

Quite a few here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I have not seriously looked into it myself as I'm a bit apprehensive to do anything that might breach the factory warranty cover. Does seem that a lot of bloggers recommend APR as a safe choice in general for VW (not sure if specifically for the MK6 as well, but I would guess so).

I also agree with "MonthOLDpickle" that any TDI is great.
Amazing how it got refined over the years, - I remember as a kid our neighbours had a MK1 diesel. Could hear it miles away and they were quite sluggish, but of course always very economical.

Thanks for the link, I searched a lot all over the web and so far I'm most tempted to get the swedish BSR PPC...unfortunately they haven't made one for the Golf but according to their development department it's a matter of weeks. They have one ready for the Tiguan CR 140 and it promises 191hp and well over 400nm torque...I think that will make the smaller golf fly..

I too had a neighbour who had a Golf II TDI which he bragged about whenever he had a chance. I just laughed for myself while thinking; NO way I'm ever going to buy a diesel...But then the PD140 kinda impressed me with it's torque and driveability. Still noisy but when you tuned it was really great. Had a drive recently in a Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 V6 TDI...it was chipped and it just flew...Sweet engine and really, really powerful...

Last edited:

LA.:R

Hello all TDI owners.
I currently own a 2008 R32.
I'm looking at getting into a MKVI golf 2-door tdi manual.
I was just wondering what your experiences are--so far--with the TDI.
How's the acceleration, handling, ride, etc.
Thanks!:thumbsup:

Dennis Moeller

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi La.:VW
Coming from the R32 I think you'll find the performance somewhat different ;-) TDI's are all about torque, especially the midrange punch. If you choose to give it a software update, it could probably keep up with the R32...at least when it comes to in gear accelerations. 0-100km/h will leave the TDI behind but that is something you can live with as long as you'll have some twisty turns you should keep up. The VI is a more refined product compared to the V but you'll find yourself right at home. The interior is taken a step up and the suspension is even more fine tuned. The 4Motion system are one generation newer/better (I'm not a 100% there) BUT when it comes to handling the TDI is no GT or Pocket Rocket like the R32...You might want to opt for the adjustable/adaptive suspension which will give you extra sportiness when you want it. I dunno if you have the 170 TDI where you live but that would give you more power and if you optimize that with some vitamins you should have performance real close to what you're used to.
My 2 cents

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
NA has no 4mo TDI nor has the adaptive/adjustable suspension =/

Also tdiclub.com is another great site just for TDIs.

Cloudlink041

Ready to race!
Ive been trying to decide which TDI I want the A3 TDI or the GOLF TDI?

Just test drove the A3 TDI and I really like some aspects of it. The front grill and the (euro lip?) looked real nice. The leather is a big plus along with the steering wheel. Also the LED head lights were nice to look at. I've been to a couple VW dealerships but they never have any TDI's in stock :(

I'm leaning more towards the Golf TDI because : looks sportier (w/the optional body kit) has a better nav, has a better moon/sun roof (I dont like the double sun roof from audi) and is 5k cheaper with the options I want.

Anybody have any pictures of their TDI's that they want to share?

tdi-mk6

Diesel it is!
Hello all TDI owners.
I currently own a 2008 R32.
I'm looking at getting into a MKVI golf 2-door tdi manual.
I was just wondering what your experiences are--so far--with the TDI.
How's the acceleration, handling, ride, etc.
Thanks!:thumbsup:

I've had 4 different people (incl. myself) drive my car and they all were impressed with its performance. We all thought diesel was gonna be a 'dog' of a car, but not at all. It's fast, it's quiet, and nothing beats the milage!
Go for it, I would say! Good luck.

Cloudlink041

Ready to race!
Cant wait to test drive one.

Dennis Moeller

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had 4 different people (incl. myself) drive my car and they all were impressed with its performance. We all thought diesel was gonna be a 'dog' of a car, but not at all. It's fast, it's quiet, and nothing beats the milage!
Go for it, I would say! Good luck.

I totally agree on that pov. It's hard not to get impressed by the refinement of the CR engine, the smoothness in the driveability and not to forget; the torque delivery.. But the R32 is one smooth engine/package too :) Looking at the figures might leave you dissapointed but real life figures tells another story...it feels faster and once you give the optimized software it really does feel fast. Again, nothing beats the mileage of course, it's second to none given you count in everything the Golf mkVI has to to offer. It's a real pity that you guys don't get the 4Motion because that option really makes the choice easy...stupid VAG group. Doesn't help the brand if markets are beeing neglected...

I too will say; go for it :D