GOLFMKV

The dangers of increasing GTI turbo-boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
harddrivin1le, i respect your tenacity.

I have an honest question though...

Why don't you still own a 99 Ls1 Camaro?

oddspider

Ready to race!
The EA 888 family is also quite flexible. It’s suitable for production anywhere in the Volkswagen Group’s network of engine production facilities. The engine family can take a wide variation of fuel quality, allowing it to be used in any of the markets in which the Volkswagen Group sells cars. Designed to be lighter than the equivalent displacement engines they replace, the EA 888 family is also sturdy enough for applications on the liberal side of 134 hp per liter. They also boast more dynamic torque buildup that’s more pleasurable to drive and consumes less fuel in the process.

Straight from vw's mouth when I asked about the current ea888 motor found in the gti and other vehicles worldwide. So that would be a "liberal" side of 270hp for the 2.0l

Shaunh

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
harddrivin1le, i respect your tenacity.

I have an honest question though...

Why don't you still own a 99 Ls1 Camaro?

Because the car would be 12 model years old now and my life situation limits me to one car - which must be reliable, have relatively low mileage, etc.

The Camaro had a junk interior, a lousy stereo and crap seats. I swapped the driver's seat out for a the new Recaro and performed various other mods throughout my years with it.

I recently owned a 2009 Z51 Corvette (LS3). The Corvette was faster than the Camaro and had higher limits (lateral Gs, braking, etc).

That being said, the Camaro was much more of a "driver's car" and was an absolute blast to drive. I had abut $24K into the caer by the time I sold it and nothing ever beat it - ever - on the straights or in the corners.

Faster iron has come out since, so it would be a different story now.

I like my GTI for now, though some of the small quality issues I've had have been annoying.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
The EA 888 family is also quite flexible. It’s suitable for production anywhere in the Volkswagen Group’s network of engine production facilities. The engine family can take a wide variation of fuel quality, allowing it to be used in any of the markets in which the Volkswagen Group sells cars. Designed to be lighter than the equivalent displacement engines they replace, the EA 888 family is also sturdy enough for applications on the liberal side of 134 hp per liter. They also boast more dynamic torque buildup that’s more pleasurable to drive and consumes less fuel in the process.

Straight from vw's mouth when I asked about the current ea888 motor found in the gti and other vehicles worldwide. So that would be a "liberal" side of 270hp for the 2.0lShaunh

134 HP/liter X 2.0 liters = 268 HP.

So why didn't VW simply boost the EA888 to 268 HP - 270 HP for their new "R20" instead of going to all the extra trouble of specifying and installing a fortified, 270 HP, EA113 that's far less fuel efficient?

Can you name any factory Audi/VW E888 engines that's rated at anything close to 268 HP?

I believe the highest you'll find in 211 HP - in the current Audi S4.

I've no doubt that we'll soon be seeing higher output versions of the EA888 from VW/Audi, but I think you'll find that they'll upgrade a lot of parts (pistons, rings, rods, main bearing caps, wrist pins, etc) to make that happen.

I'll also note that 268 HP is still quite low compared to some of the HP figures that have been discussed elsewhere on the forum for the EA888.

Last edited:

oddspider

Ready to race!
Thanks for the math lesson, not sure if you were pointing out that 134x2 doesn't equal 270. I added the 2hp because I like to round up to the nearest "10".

I don't know why they haven't used it in other vehicles. maybe they had a bunch of es113's laying around and wanted to use them. It doesn't matter if they have any current vehicles that fit the 270ish mark, according to the email that is a liberal rating for the motor. Which in my mind means that it has more in it. It could takes years for them to bring out a version of that motor with that hp rating. Trying to figure out why auto manufacturers do the things they do is futile. Just look at the new jetta

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Your saying your camaro handled better than your gti?

The Camaro was in a whole different league.

Mine of one of 66 factory ordered 1LE /6 speed cars, which included double adjustable Koni "Yellows" (and lot of other suspension upgrades) right from the factory.

http://ve3eie.ncf.ca/1le_history.html

The car had a very favorable weight distribution, outstanding high speed stability and could really get the power down (rear drive with a Torsen differential).

The cars (and similarly modded F bodies) owned F stock autocross for years...

The GTI is very nose heavy, it's track is relatively narrow and the car has a high center of gravity. It's also front drive.

How many real high performance car makers (e.g. Ferrari, Porsche, BMW M) do you know of that use the GTI formula?

BTW: The Camaro was only 125 pounds or so heavier than my GTI...

formul8

My GLI farts
Chipping or mods or whatever do not blow up engines, your right foot does.

You can boost the living hell out these motors and have it last as long as a stock engine, provided you don't beat the living hell out of it.

formul8

My GLI farts
Why does a 4th gen F-Body keep coming up in discussions on this site? Apples and oranges and has little in common with the GTI other than having 4 wheels and a hatch.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the math lesson, not sure if you were pointing out that 134x2 doesn't equal 270. I added the 2hp because I like to round up to the nearest "10".

I don't know why they haven't used it in other vehicles. maybe they had a bunch of es113's laying around and wanted to use them. It doesn't matter if they have any current vehicles that fit the 270ish mark, according to the email that is a liberal rating for the motor. Which in my mind means that it has more in it. It could takes years for them to bring out a version of that motor with that hp rating. Trying to figure out why auto manufacturers do the things they do is futile. Just look at the new jetta

"A bunch of ES113s laying around?"

Are you serious?

The EA888 has been in production now for nearly 3 years and VW sells around 7,000,000 cars a year worldwide.

How many of the old engines do you figure they had "laying around?"

VW/Audi are continuing to build the EA113 because they use that engine in they're higher performance 2.0T applications.

Why is that fact so difficult for people to accept?

http://www.my-gti.com/1046/differences-between-the-gti-mark-v-and-mark-vi-engine

Last edited:

oddspider

Ready to race!
"A bunch of ES113s laying around?"

Are you serious?

The EA888 has been in production now for nearly 4 years.

How many of the old engines do you figure they had "laying around?"

VW/Audi are continuing to build the EA113 because they use that engine in they're higher performance 2.0T applications.

Damn you just don't get it do you. You quote me and take it out of context. That seems to be a problem with you. Like I stated earlier I don't pretend to know or guess why auto manufacturers do the things they do. Another example: the Pontiac Aztec.

oddspider

Ready to race!
Everything that I have read has also stated that the ea113 is being phased out. They will use it till it is no longer useful. Just the specs on the ea888 alone tell me it is more boost friendly as well as being more Eco friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.