GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The FrankenTurbo F23T hybrid K04 works on your GLI, too!

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
Solid, solid results courtesy of Driver Motorsport on a Dynapack dyno. This is a TSI-engine GLI with upgraded valve springs running 91oct California gas on AU Tuning's Dynapack. Nice job, Bronson!

:burnrubber:

jshay

Go Kart Champion
:thumbup:

So this is actually my car. Apparently the dynopack that was used for my car reads GLIs very low. Someone I know personally ran a 277whp on a 100 octane K04 tune on the same dyno. A friend's shop locally has a dynojet and I may just stop by and have them run a few more dynos to see how they look too.

DM's Facebook post regarding the dyno and the results

After having the car back for 12 hours now, I can say that the power comes quick , comes hard, and comes smooth.

All and all i'm very pleased with how everything came out.

Krog29

Ready to race!
:clap:

H132

Ready to race!
Good numbers for crappy 91 octane gas, which is all we have here. I'm in Ventura. Where are you in socal? Maybe we can put the rubber to the road :D

molo

Ready to race!
Good numbers for crappy 91 octane gas, which is all we have here. I'm in Ventura. Where are you in socal? Maybe we can put the rubber to the road :D

Nice numbers Doug!

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
:thumbup:

So this is actually my car. Apparently the dynopack that was used for my car reads GLIs very low. Someone I know personally ran a 277whp on a 100 octane K04 tune on the same dyno. A friend's shop locally has a dynojet and I may just stop by and have them run a few more dynos to see how they look too.

DM's Facebook post regarding the dyno and the results

After having the car back for 12 hours now, I can say that the power comes quick , comes hard, and comes smooth.

All and all i'm very pleased with how everything came out.

HA! Told you! Everything was worth it the moment you get behind the wheel. Now we need to work on getting traction.

This just confirms I'll 100% need valvesprings for my GLI to run this turbo or even the K04

as I'll be running 93 Oct.

Bummer...

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Check your valve springs tho. Mine were pink stripped which were confirmed the weak ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
That is great to hear!

Glad it all worked out for you, and those numbers are just about spot on for AU's dyno. Would probably read 10% higher on an inflated Dynojet. Curve is sweet though!

@jshay - so after the F23t and valve springs, what did you end up out of pocket for install costs?

Also -- with the investment.. you consider keeping the car MORE now? Its eating me alive wanting to upgrade my GLI but I have my reservations where to spend my money. As we know (or most of us) know the new 2015 V4 mustangs are quite the tuning car at the moment

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Well here's how I stood about 6 months ago:

I was actually considering trading the car in for a different car, possibly a MK7 GTI or maybe something AWD. I had a decent amount saved up but thing is, my car is a 2012.. It's not an old car by any means. It was either dump enough money into this car that I'll probably never see back, or buy a bone stock car and do this all over again. Then I kind of considered how much power did I really want in a car. I had to remind myself that this was my daily driver and it had to still be decent on gas.

I eventually decided on spending money on this car as an investment to stop me from considering buying a new car. There's tons of labor costs that I cannot bare to take a hit on at this point.

Am I happy with the car now? OH YES. The car is perfect as far as power wise goes. It's a weekend warrior but a grocery getter on the weekdays.

As far as my costs go: Including valve springs you're looking at ~3500 or so. My out of pocket was a bit different due to DM needing a car to test their F23 software on.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks for the insight on this. That is about where I stand. Car is my Daily Driver, and I like to have adrenaline rush without buying a 60k car.

I also consider the costs to upgrade this car, along with future maintenance. As I'll want to replace the timing chain tensor and cover after 100k miles and other misc items (early 2013 GLI). Or maybe I'm wrong on what I'll need to replace as regular maintenance later down the road.

I'm asking around here locally for install prices again.. Unsure of who to goto now in Central FL area.

Well here's how I stood about 6 months ago:

I was actually considering trading the car in for a different car, possibly a MK7 GTI or maybe something AWD. I had a decent amount saved up but thing is, my car is a 2012.. It's not an old car by any means. It was either dump enough money into this car that I'll probably never see back, or buy a bone stock car and do this all over again. Then I kind of considered how much power did I really want in a car. I had to remind myself that this was my daily driver and it had to still be decent on gas.

I eventually decided on spending money on this car as an investment to stop me from considering buying a new car. There's tons of labor costs that I cannot bare to take a hit on at this point.

Am I happy with the car now? OH YES. The car is perfect as far as power wise goes. It's a weekend warrior but a grocery getter on the weekdays.

As far as my costs go: Including valve springs you're looking at ~3500 or so. My out of pocket was a bit different due to DM needing a car to test their F23 software on.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
When you look at the equipment list in a new car, then at its price, that older ride looks like a pretty good bet. Really, there isn't a whole lot going on with the newer cars that you don't have already in the one you've got. Plus you no longer need fret over every little ding, scratch & stray lint. It's worn-in. And modding it is a much better value than trading in and starting all over again.