GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Driver Gear/VWR Spring Thread

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Going DG (4D DSG) along with Bilstein Touring Shocks in the next few weeks. Picked up an install kit with ECS Heavy Duty strut mounts and new bearings/bolts/etc.

ooh, I'm very excited about that. I can't wait to see the results as I long debated that very setup. Let me know if you need any help installing if you do it yourself. :thumbsup:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Going DG (4D DSG) along with Bilstein Touring Shocks in the next few weeks. Picked up an install kit with ECS Heavy Duty strut mounts and new bearings/bolts/etc.

I just installed a set of those ECS Mounts on a local guy's car over the weekend, and they squeaked like crazy.
Swapped them out with a set of the Febi TT mounts....the noises went away

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Hey Guys, I'm looking at getting the full vwr cup kit from racingline-na, just wondering if Ill have rubbing issues. My current setup is 225/40/18 on 8.5 wheels, will I have to roll the fenders and will I have issues when I have more than 2 people in the car ?

Depends on what the offset is on those wheels. My R is on VWR springs, and my summer wheels (18x8.5, 38mm offset) rub over large bumps. My winter wheels (stock with an 8mm spacer, so 43mm effective offset) clear just fine.

rider89

UGH! Can someone save me reading through this whole thread and help, I am worried about rubbing and any other potential problems as I am a total noob with rims and sizing.

I am looking for springs for a 2011 GOLF 2.5 4DR. I want to lower it a bit. It will be sitting with rims Size:18x8 5X112 Offset: +40 Rims.

I'm torn between VWR, DG, and HR Sports. Whats the difference? Should I change my shocks and struts as well while I'm at it?

Thanks

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
UGH! Can someone save me reading through this whole thread and help, I am worried about rubbing and any other potential problems as I am a total noob with rims and sizing.

I am looking for springs for a 2011 GOLF 2.5 4DR. I want to lower it a bit. It will be sitting with rims Size:18x8 5X112 Offset: +40 Rims.

I'm torn between VWR, DG, and HR Sports. Whats the difference? Should I change my shocks and struts as well while I'm at it?

Thanks

VWR & DG are linear
H&R Sports are progressive

Pick the springs for the height you want....Google works amazing for pics, btw

Depends on the mileage on your car, but most likely being an '11 you'll want new shocks/struts too.....if you're concerned about ride quality
If you just want it low and don't care how it rides, then just put them on the OEM struts/shocks

jorlay

Passed Driver's Ed
So I caved... bought new DG Springs and the necessary components from the stealership. (with the exception of the axle bolts. WHT-002-795) Apparently the bolts are discontinued with no alternatives? Hopefully my shop won't have an issue with that.

I'll be putting on 19" VMRs. I know a lot of people have been looking for pictures of 4dr DSG DG springs on a 4dr DSG GTI with 19" wheels. I'll post pictures when I have them installed. Should be sometime within the next 2 weeks.

I have a feeling it's going to look very very weird with the gap and 19", but we shall see.

Roctre

Ready to race!
So I caved... bought new DG Springs and the necessary components from the stealership. (with the exception of the axle bolts. WHT-002-795) Apparently the bolts are discontinued with no alternatives? Hopefully my shop won't have an issue with that.

I'll be putting on 19" VMRs. I know a lot of people have been looking for pictures of 4dr DSG DG springs on a 4dr DSG GTI with 19" wheels. I'll post pictures when I have them installed. Should be sometime within the next 2 weeks.

I have a feeling it's going to look very very weird with the gap and 19", but we shall see.

http://www.urotuning.com/Axle-Bolt-Mk5-Mk6-B6-p/wht002795.htm
Idk what that dealership is on but here you go.

jorlay

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got my DG springs installed... spent way too much just to get this setup on. Wanted to put them on my OEM shocks and sell my H&R Super Sports with Koni yellows. Ends up one of my OEM rear struts top threads were busted so I couldn't have them installed. On top of that, one of my H&R Super Sport Front Springs snapped. So I was forced to keep the konis and paired them up with the DG springs. No money to recoup essentially. In addition, I spent money to replace everything from strut mounts to bearings to all bolts and nuts required for install.
Yea... way too much money spent just to swap out springs.

At this point I'm just glad they're finally on. Still have to do the fender screw mod before I put on my wheels this weekend. I've only driven the car for 5 minutes so don't have too much experience with them yet. Initial thought is wow these springs are much higher than the super sports LOL. However, the drive was awesome. Really smooth and absorbed bumps really really well. Feels like this will finally stop my wife from complaining.
Can't wait till I drive it to work tomorrow, a good stretch of highway / and local.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Had VWR springs installed yesterday along with Audi TT mounts and new bearings. My stock bearings were shot. Also had the Audi rear spring perch installed to avoid reverse rake. Happy so far! Absorbs bumps better and body roll has been reduced. Quite a bit of drop as well. Not even settled yet.

Before:

Rear

Front

After:

Rear

Front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motocrossx23

Ready to race!
So before I install my VWR springs: replace anything? I'm keeping the stock struts. The whole "replace it because VW owner" thing drives me crazy, for some reason everyone seems to circle jerk over spending money.

I have 42k on the car and no fucks given.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Looks good! Stock struts/shocks?

Just ordered a set of those yesterday, to pair with Koni Sports, for my car.

Yeup, stock struts/shocks. I'm liking the drop more and more everyday.

Very nice. I'll probably get those or the VWR shocks/struts once the factory ones start to show some age.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So before I install my VWR springs: replace anything? I'm keeping the stock struts. The whole "replace it because VW owner" thing drives me crazy, for some reason everyone seems to circle jerk over spending money.

I have 42k on the car and no fucks given.

If nothing has been removed suspension wise you may be ok reusing the strut mount bolts and the rear shock pads. The only thing that was replaced on mine were the pinch bolts, top strut nut, and of course went with the Audi TT strut mounts and new bearings as they are a wearable item and should be replaced to avoid squeaks. I opted for the TT rear spring perches as well as the are a little thicker that the ones on our cars to prevent any reverse rake and I'm glad I did. I'm going to contact ECS Tuning to return some of the items that weren't even needed.