GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on changing the DSG fluid a little early?

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Obviously “it can’t hurt” I know the interval is 40K for service.
I do drive fairly spirited/aggressive, but don’t drive a ton (work from home, no commute)
I have 50K on the clock as of now, previous DSG service was done at 20K (dealer throw in at buying)
There doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with the shifting (aside from a couple clunkier 1-2 shifts when really cold out.)

I have all the necessary items for:
1) Tensioner revision replacement
2) Oil change
3) Carbon removal from intake
4) DSG fluid maintenance

Opinions on just tackling ALL of the project on a long weekend in the coming months?
My only reservation is that I have another 10K for the DSG, but if the car is up in the air and getting a “spring refresh”.....

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Yeah, I might as well... when I bought the parts last night I thought the car was approaching 60K and not 50K but I can spec out the DSG change for last. If I run out of time I will do it the next oil change.

Pooley

Ready to race!
No drawback doing the DSG fluid at 30kmi vs 40kmi other than cost of materials.

I've typically done my DSG fluid every 30kmi since new. I could feel the difference in smoothness when cold even after the first 30kmi change so I kept doing it that often. I'm overdue now for my own schedule but not at 40kmi since last fluid change and I can feel that grabbiness leaving a stop when the fluid is cold. I plan to do mine sometime real soon, just need the fluid and filter. I'm at 130kmi now, last done at 92kmi or so.

You can get all of these projects done in one weekend, but if you've never done them before I would do oil and tensioner one weekend and carbon cleaning and DSG the following weekend, unless the car isn't needed during the week and can sit if not all finished. This way you aren't rushing and can take time if/when you run into snags like the lower timing cover catching on the stock turbo outlet and serpentine belt tensioner (even after the pulley is removed).

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
@Pooley - thanks for the insight, maybe I will structure it like that. I tend to underestimate how long projects will take. I will definitely change it soon though, the 1-2 shift doesn't feel nice (have to keep the throttle low from a stop when shifting for the first 10 mins)

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Random thought, while I'm in there, what do you guys think on a little sanding the ports to smooth them out a bit? Possibly (slim possibility) to reduce the surface area in the ports to delay further deposits for the future? Huge waste of time, or hit it for an hour or so and see how far I get? Not going for the whole port and polish aspect of things obviously....

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't sand the ports. Just a nice Walnut shell blast every 40-80k depending on driving habits. I'm gathering all the tools needed to do my own carbon cleaning considering this is turning into a regular maintenance item and I can gather the parts for less than a single service.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Random thought, while I'm in there, what do you guys think on a little sanding the ports to smooth them out a bit? Possibly (slim possibility) to reduce the surface area in the ports to delay further deposits for the future? Huge waste of time, or hit it for an hour or so and see how far I get? Not going for the whole port and polish aspect of things obviously....

It won't work anyway, it's a chemical reaction to the steel that starts the process. Porsche has their own coating for their valves, and a coating like that is all that w eould help (save for port injection)

markus037

Ready to race!
no such thing as too early. i did mine at 51k and the fluid still looked good but a little dirty. new fluid made a huge impriovement. i plan on doing it every 20k from now on.