GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle Pedal Lag/Dead Space

redlulu

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a new MKVI GTI ,one month old , and it is my first car with an electronic throttle and turbo. Most of my driving so far has been in the city with many stop signs. I do not get a direct response between my foot pressing and the rpms when starting out at a stop sign. Many times it's count one, two,then it responds.
Even sitting at idle in the driveway if I start "pumping" the pedal and inch or so rapidly the rpms do not change, only the pedal moves.
Is this characteristic of electronic throttles and or turbos? The old direct reponse of a mechanical link throttle may have trained me wrong and I now have to relearn how to drive or should I head to the service department?

TDI110

O_o
I think you are experiencing "turbo lag". And it is always a few seconds before it kicks in. Nothing too serious. As for the pumping and nothing happening, it may be a characteristic of electronic throttle control.

path

Ready to race!
i am coming from a MK5 GTI, and have literally driven the 5 and 6 back-to-back. i can say with a great deal of confidence that there is a fair amount of slop in the throttle pedal. it takes more travel to get the rev response you want in the 6 than it did in the 5, and the spring in the pedal is much lighter. there was almost NO turbo lag at all in the 5. i can't imagine that turbo lag resurfaced in the 6, i think there have been some changes in the ride by wire software that connects the reostat on the pedal to the fuel injectors.

i wonder if revised ECU software from APR or the like will cure this?

Last edited:

koolgreen

Ready to race!
There should be no delay what so ever.
As long as there is pedal movement, the engine revs should change.

The pedal is attached to a rheostat (throttle position sensor) that sends a signal to the ecm. The ecm is the governor that controls the fuel management system vis a vis the injectors and throttle.
Any change in position should cause an rpm change.
Especially if you are sitting in your driveway, in idle not in gear.
Turbo lag would not even be an issue if you are not in gear.
________
New Jersey Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited:

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
Its usually more turbo lag than tranny lag.

path

Ready to race!
i'm manual...

but it would not surprise me if it was all MK6's...doubtful they have different rheostat/sending units by transmission type

definitely not turbo lag...totally different

its more like extra play for the first fifth of pedal travel, before it tightens up and behaves the way you expect it to.

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
I find that when you decided to give it some oomph and then decide to floor it... it doesn't change throttle reaction. I would give it(accelerator) 4/5 press then 5/5 and it's the same, so I went from 5/5 to 4/5 back and forth and it still accelerated as if I was flooring it. Nothing like my old SVT Focus... It would have bogged back and forth.

redlulu

Passed Driver's Ed
It seems "throttle lag","dead space","slop". "extra play" is being experienced by many of us with DSG or manual. I hope we keep this topic alive until VW gets the message and has a TSB or recall for a fix. Thanks for all of the responses to my post.

dthomas53

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup, definitely notice a little delay when I floor it. Couldn't say for sure if it's "turbo lag" or the pedal, but I definitely notice it. However, since I'm not one to drag race it's really a non-issue for me.

Oh, and mine's a manual trans.

BuchWash

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. Mine's a manual but I guess I've noticed this hesitation too. Will report it to the dealer at 90 day service. I get around the lag by giving it some throttle and feathering in the clutch and get off the line OK, but on full tromp there IS a little lag.

woofie2

Ready to race!
Interesting. Mine's a manual but I guess I've noticed this hesitation too. Will report it to the dealer at 90 day service. I get around the lag by giving it some throttle and feathering in the clutch and get off the line OK, but on full tromp there IS a little lag.

I had noticed this too with my TDI, but I figured it was just me used to driving my Chipped TDI not my new 2.0TDI.