GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thule vs. VW roof rack

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Allright guys, I installed my Thule rack last weekend and dang that thing is noisy. I know installing a fairing could potentially diminish the noise but I don't really feel like buying one... My other option would be to sell it and try the VW rack.

I would like some opinions from those who have the Thule and the VW one.

I've had roof racks in the past but I don't recall them making so much noise...

P.S: the noise starts being very noticeable at around 80kph/50mph

fr4c

Ready to race!
I have a fairing and don't notice anything too dramatic. But then I'm using a fairing.

It is loud though with the sunroof open thats for sure.

QUEDRO

Ready to race!
I had VW OEM bars. Very noisy, but great as functional bars.
Sold OEMs and got Yakimas Whispbar (still have them). As loading bars they suck. I hate them.
As for noise - none!

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I did look into the Whispbar, it's a bit out of my budget... Unless you know a good place that sells them cheaper then 550$.

I could get a VW for around 260$, if it's noticeably less noisy then the Thule that's what I am leaning towards.

I know roof racks will always make noise but mine is really unbearable right now...

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
I had VW OEM bars. Very noisy, but great as functional bars.
Sold OEMs and got Yakimas Whispbar (still have them). As loading bars they suck. I hate them.
As for noise - none!

How much did you pay for the whispbar? What do you use them for?

I put paddle boards on my rack most of the time and probalby bikes this summer.

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Guess I'll start looking into a fairing or sell the Thulefor the VW one, if it's as noisy I'll install that one with a fairing.

intanetfreak

Go Kart Champion
I have whispbars on my wagon, but they're just cross bars as i've got the factory rails. 0 noise.

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
I seriously doubt if the VW rack is any quieter than the standard Thule because both bars have a square/rectangular profile. The Yakima Whisbars are oval in cross-section, which is what makes them quieter. Your best options are to either add a faring or trade up for the Thule model that is equivalent to the Whisbars.

Wind noise and effects on fuel-economy is why I prefer hitch-mount racks, unless you specifically need a roof rack. I've had both types of racks and roof versions are considerably louder.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
I had the OEM Votex bars with a Thule fairing……..and although the fairing did reduce the wind noise a bit, the noise was still just too much for me given the frequency that I like to use my sunroof……so I sold them and now I am looking to buy the Whispbar.